Subject Author Posted Replies

Experiment removing brown toilet bowl stains with various acids
In another thread, it was determined that porcelain toilet bowls were impervious to commonly available acids such as phosphoric (Naval Jelly) & hydrochloric (pool muriatic acid). So, I'll run an...
54
54

Make this group Moderated?
Wouldn't this be a better group if it was moderated? Has anyone ever considered that?
78
78

Multiple Water Regulators
At my home, I assume as it is in most homes, we have one regulator on the water mains. However, if we take two showers at the same time, the water pressure is low in both showers. It's not bad, it's...
17
17

Threading Wood
This is a general question, not for a specific application. It popped into my head while working on a minor home remodeling project last night. Has an yone had occasion to cut threads into a wooden...
11
11

re-roofing an 8x12 shed?
After 30 years, the time has come to re-roof my 8x12 shed as there has been a significant leak that has developed. Having never done any roofing before, I'd appreciate suggestions as to the process...
19
19

White metal. Decorative but disastrous.
We've been having a hell of a problem with stinkbugs getting into the house so I hung a bug zapper on the not well-enclosed porch. Unfortunately I used a decorative wall hook made out of cast metal....
9
9

Wiring code -- across attic floor joists
I need to add a couple of electrical circuits that will run across the floor joists of an attic. The attic is accessible, but it has a low ceiling height, so the attic is not (and never will be) a...
17
17

Is there a chemical antidote to bleach that will inactivate it instantly?
I spilled a few drops of bleach on the rug, and immediately flushed it with water, but the thought came to me that there might be an instant chemical "antidote" to bleach (like there is with an...
45
45

set a sump pump
What's better to set a sump pump in: crushed stone or gravel. I heard crushed stone, but I have a ton of gravel (about 3/4") and I would like to use that if I could.
5
5

Little 2-stroke won't take gas
Homelite Bandit line trimmer, maybe 50cc. Many years reliable service. Starts on choke per instruction manual. Even after it warms up, it won't take gas. Increased throttle results in decreased rpm. I...
7
7

Water heaters
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in the past. If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs replacing what is the price difference -...
88
88

Cheap Bagged Topsoil/Fill??
Anyone know of any companies that sell GOOD and cheap bagged topsoil/fill?? Almost everyone near me has the "Scotts Premium Topsoil" for around $2 bucks a bag, but the stuff is crap!! I bought some...
41
41

New project and need more electrical help
My daughter is becomming a teenager and her and her mother fight over the m irror in the bathroom. My intention is to make two mirror frames out of red oak, stained to match the cabinet. (Currently...
10
10

Always keep a Fire Extinguisher by your Toilet
Today's Safety at Home Lesson, for April 9, 2013. Toilet Safety: Prevent Fire and Explosion in your toilet. Always keep a Fire Extinguisher by your Toilet. Have it easy to grab, and in open sight,...

Sticks to any metal surface
Recently I have seen several TV commercials about a magnetic flashlight that the seller claims will, "Stick to any metal surface." Don't they know that aluminum, copper and brass are metals and that...
2
2