Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Road side vigil
My niece had a friend killed in a car wreck last night, right outside of town. People have set up a road side vigil with balloons and flowers. We drove by, and were going to stop in the car and take a...
25
25

GFCI not made in China
Some years ago, I asked her if anyone knew of a GFCI not made in China. I am happy to report that Leviton manufactures what are marketed as NAFTA-compliant GFCI's that are made in Mexico. I had to...
3
3

My Slow Cooker Takes Too Long
I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing? I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the...
43
43

Calling SMS...Pool chemicals ... best place...Silicon Valley
In the past, SMS told me (rightly so), the best place for liquid chlorine was HASA in Saratoga with the coupon was in Saratoga. I use about 100 pounds of the 3" trichlor tablets per year. If SMS is...
12
12

Thermometer repair?
I've gotten good advice here in the past. Maybe someone can help me with this problem I have a rather expensive oven mercury thermometer. When using it in a combination MW/convection oven with a...
36
36

Front door leak
I recently installed a new front entry door slab into an existing frame. During driving rain, water leaks at the two bottom corners. The door fits tightly and has a wrap around sweep. I placed vinyl...
2
2

How a rounded-corner square drill works
Nifty. Video How a Rounded-Corner Square Drill Works - There, I Fixed It - white trash repairs
1
1

Replace drip edge without re-roofing?
As in the title, I found significant termite damage to some fascia boards on a flat (or very low sloping) section of my roof. In order to remove the damaged boards, I must first remove the drip edge,...
3
3

storing a 20 lb propane tank..
In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ propane. But nowhere to store this thing. Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the BBQ itself is not...
39
39

Water Well Pumo Switch Reset - How to?
This morning, our water well pump lost power. The Pumptrol Square D 9013 FSG switch appears to have tripped and the water pressure dial is all the way down to zero. No water is being drawn from the...
3
3

Do they make 12Volt DC LED Bulbs
They have made 12 volt incandescent bulbs for many years. They have the same base as a standard lightbulb, and fit the same sockets. They are used for campers with 12V lighting, and 12V trouble lights...
23
23

OT How to clean a Glock pistol
Information sent to me by an American Epal :-) Not actually that useful here.
3
3

click flooring cutter
I'm looking into redoing some floors using clic stranded bamboo flooring which comes in 2 meter lengths. I need to stagger a right angle joint - which means I need to cut some boards and they will...
2
2

What would make a non-adjustable California lawn mower rev like crazy?
Haven't used the California lawn mower since last season, and, well, after I pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it finally started. But, then, for the next half hour...
6
6

What's the trick to preventing stacked plastic buckets from sticking together? (2024 Update)
Like everyone else, I often stack similar sized plastic buckets, but, over time, they almost always become close to impossible to pry apart without excessive force and undue swearing. There must be a...
52
52