Subject Author Posted Replies

Toilets again
I'm going to replace our toilets soon. I want to get the new higher ones for my wife's comfort. Seems that both Kohler and American Standard make highly rated ones and I think I have it narrowed down...
12
12

Landlords annual inspection of apartment houses...why?
I've been living in the same apartment for six years and every year I get a brief visit from the landlord. This year was a visit by three unhappy strangers that spent three minutes looking around. Any...
15
15

Does it matter at all whether PVC unions are on one way or the other?
I'm a big believer in doing things the right way, or, at least knowing what the right way is (so that the next time you do it the right way). So I ask what seems like a very basic question: Q: Does it...
32
32

Cutting in reverse
This spring I got a new bolens model 760 riding lawnmower and am very satisfied with it except that when I put it in reverse with the blades engaged the engine dies. I assume this is normal. Since I...
4
4

Light bulb for shed
My son reported seeing this on a YouTube video, so I can't vouch for its accuracy. While bemoaning the lack of light in various African hovels and tar-paper shacks, some residents came up with a novel...
24
24

Put lathe screws in the dimples of self-furring lathe?
Doing a stucco repair and using Home Depot self-furring lathe. It's my understanding that ideally the lathe should be in the middle of the stucco. It seems logical to me that the screws should go in...
9
9

Hot water recirculating pump
Has anyone on the group had any experiences with these pumps? SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the kitchen. The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the kitchen...
12
12

Buried Electrical Wiring in Yard
Our new-to-us home has a garden and koi pond at the back of the property. The pond uses a submersible pump and, in winter, a heater to melt hole in ice. Switch for the present wiring is in garage,...
22
22

What works better than CLR on calcium/lime deposits? (2023 Update)
I've never found CLR to work that great on heavier deposits of mineral buildup. What's better?
17
17

Question just about the order of pipe dope sealant and teflon tape
Q: Does the order of the tape & pipe sealant matter? Starting with this: Just wondering, if, for critical 2" PVC applications such as pool equipment, when using *both* pipe sealant & teflon tape: Does...
72
72

cinder block raised garden box and earthquake question
Hi All, I am in the planning phase of replacing my back lawn with cinder block garden boxes and pavers and/or rocks. Problem: we have *a lot*, about 30 a day you can't feel, earthquakes around these...
8
8

Pool Pump plumbing and Electrial question:
Okay, more like a dumb theory but want to solicit opinions regardless... I have a 16' x 32' x 9' deep pool. I live in an area where in the day electricity is double the cost than at night. However,...
27
27

Olive oil to remove wood stain from your hands
I heard this tip on American Restorations this past week. Basically they said that if you get wood stain on your hands, put some olive oil on them and it will help remove the stain. something in the...
12
12

lawn mower
My lawn mower works for awhile, starts to sputter but still works and then no longer works. I have brand new gas, there is a lot of stabil in it, and the tank looks clean. I have replaced the spark...
25
25

The government ruined the gas can...
"Soap doesnt work. Toilets dont flush. Clothes washers dont clean. Light bulbs dont illuminate. Refrigerators break too soon. Paint discolors. Lawnmowers have to be hacked. Its all caused by idiotic...
120
120