Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Car insurance complaints
I'm currently shopping for car insurance; considering a move from GEICO to (possibly) AAA of Southern California, but open to any company whose record shows they will serve my best interests (hah!)...
75
75

How a toilet ballcock works
People are telling me that the link I posted in the other thread of this name doesn't work. To find the correct web page simply Google the following character string: How the Fluidmaster Valve Works...
8
8

Tiger Woods' ocean-front mansion sinking
( HOBE SOUND ? While Tiger Woods was chasing his 15th major golf title Thursday at this week?s 95th PGA Championship in Pittsford, N.Y., contractors were working 1,340 miles away on his sinking...
1
1

removing header support posts
Wanted to remove a couple of posts from this header. Not absolutely sure if the existing header will work not. This opening is a 10 1/2 ft opening between living and breakfast area. Should I cut the...
9
9

older deadbolt
I have an older deadbolt lock set that need new door knobs. The deadbolt in a wrought iron gate that my in laws have built over thirty years ago. It was made by a local dealer in Davenport Iowa. The...
3
3

How does a toilet ballcock work?
For any newbies in here who want to learn how toilet ballcocks work, this web page from FluidMaster tech support explains in step-by-step detail how the rubber diaphragm in a FluidMaster 400A toilet...
6
6

my french drain leaves large puddles whats wrong
i did a french drain in my yard but i have giant puddles of water now
5
5

Termites & hardwood floor
Well, I'm cleaning out a room being used for storage and found that when I stepped in one area, that the furniture rattled. Checking around, I saw a few holes in the floor from well-fed little...
5
5

OT, ‘Love Boat’ Sails Off to the Junkyard
Bye Bye Love Boat. sniff :~( TDD The cruise ship that was the backdrop for ABC's The Love Boat will soon be reduced to a heap of scrap metal. The cruise ship that was the backdrop for ABC's The Love...
16
16

Don't hire a Spanish architect to design your hi-rise.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50152642n
4
4

fence issue with neighbor
Hi I just would love to hear your opinion about this. There is a fence between our house and neighbor. None of us build the fence. We bought the houses a nd the fence was/is there. The neighbor are...
54
54

LEDs solve recessed ceiling light problems
I thought I'd share this with anyone interested. I just found out that the new LED recessed lights solve serious problems that exist with recessed lights, depending on where they are installed. Case...
19
19

mystery water in ceiling
All water pipes in my two story house are under the first floor and in the first floor walls to the height needed to supply water to faucets in kitche n and bathrooms in the first floor. This morning...
14
14

So *that's* where that tool has been!
Some of you may recall the thread I started about refinishing the hinges on my trailer. After I was done with them, I moved on to freshening up the white Rust-Cap paint that I used on the wheels a few...
11
11

Sliders OT
I ran across this after seeing the comments about tool thefts at construction sites. Thieves are grabbing purses while the owners are fueling their vehicles.
3
3