Subject Author Posted Replies

furnace - resting on steel rail
Was over at my wife's sister's house... She has a ranch style house, with the furnace in a "closet" in the middle of the first floor. The forced air output is therefore "down" into the ductwork in the...
11
11

furnace pre-ignite - jet engine
Was over at my wife's sister's house... She has a ranch style house, with the furnace in a "closet" in the middle of the first floor. When it first starts up for heating, it sounds like a jet engine...
1
1

Intermittent (small) pooling of water under water heater...
We have an 11 year old 40-gallon gas-fired storage water heater ("State" brand). Over the summer, I intermittently noticed a (very) small amount of water pooling in a depression of the floor...
25
25

Air Conditioner Brands
I have to replace a very old through-the-wall air conditioner. Based on the room size, I need 11,000 BTUs and I want to continue to use the nearby 110 V plug as opposed to running a new 220V line....
4
4

USA snow and ice storm; gonna needing home repair
Dec 5, 2013 News folks talking about the big ice and snow storm over central and mideast USA. Massive power cuts possible. Ice, and more. Barometers are falling sharply!
19
19

Husqy or Stihl?
I am looking at the Husky 455 and 460 with a 20" bar. A very good friend says he is a lifelong Stihl fan. I have seen and like both. What are your opinions on both? I have a Husky now, and I love it....
13
13

Solder of Braze "copper" convector?
I have an old-style, convector-type, wall mounted room heater that has a small leak. It is similar to baseboard heat, but the heat is provided by the hot water that goes through the convector element....
39
39

Remaining Propane In Hand-held Bernzomatic Torch ?
I have a standard hand-held Benzomatic propane torch, probably 35+ years ol d. Fortunately I have never run out of gas in the middle of an important p roject, and I do have 3 hardware stores within a...
59
59

Breaker breaker ...
OK , it's getting closer to time to start wiring on the new room and I'm shopping main panels . Right now we have a 6x6 post with a 100 amp meter base and a temp type breaker box that holds 1 single...
14
14

Practically, what is the difference between a "cut resistance" of 8, versus 9, in a Master Padlock?
A friend just called from a store to ask what's the difference (practically) between a cut resistance 8 versus 9 in a Master Padlock. Two #9s are $19, while a similar set of four #8s for $25. From a...
13
13

Transformers For 12V LED Lighting
Hi, As mentioned in another post we want to convert the 50W halogen bulbs in our house to LEDs. We would like to use 12V bulbs but the electrician says that would require a transformer for each bulb....
17
17

low Cold water pressure
my mother is having low water pressure in just some of her cold water lines [hot lines are fine] I'm pretty sure it's not the shut off valves, underneath any other possibilities? thanks marc
9
9

Recommendations for over/under washer drier?
Need a small utility over/under washer drier combination to use on small loads. Don't want any costly, fancy, useless whizbang features, just a straight forward little laundry setup that plugs into...
1
1

Kenmore HD Series 70 Washer Softener Dispenser Problem
I'm having a problem with the fabric softener dispenser. Recently it has begun to dribble water out at the very end of the rinse cycle. The cylindrical unit sits on the head of the agitator and...
2
2

Are there any hi speed drill bits that actually drill through metal?
I'm trying to mount some security cameras on the sides of my home. I have old steel siding on the house. The damn drill bits I buy today can't get through the thin steel except once of twice without...
17
17