Subject Author Posted Replies

Repairing cement sidewalk with asphalt
Up until this year the city repaired sidewalks that had been pushed up by tree roots by breaking up sections and pouring new cement. This year they started patching them up by laying down asphalt, and...
3
3

Clothes dryer: repair or replace?
My 25-year-old Hotpoint dryer is getting flaky. I have to run it two or three times to dry a load of wet clothes. I cleaned out the vent pipe and got quite a lot of lint out, but it still doesn't dry...
44
44

First group of Canada geese sighted
It's official. Spring is here. This morning I saw the first group of Canada geese flying north over Winnipeg. By the time the snow melts, there'll be tens of thousands of them flying north over the...
7
7

OT, OMG, A Polish Music Video
Well, it had to happen. ^_^ TDD Finally, the rest of the world (outside Poland) can enjoy this music video... Clip Copyright: UrbanRecTV https://www.youtube.com/user/UrbanRecTv
2
2

How to complain to the FTC and/or FCC about deceptive advertising
If you feel like complaining about your cell phone, you get 1,000 characters on the online FCC complaint form & 3,000 characters on the online FTC form: FCC 888-225-5322 FTC 877-382-4357 In my case, I...
205
205

Uncle Bubba's Cracker House is now closed
Bwahahahahahaahaahhhaaaahahahahahah! "Thank you for 10 great years. Uncle Bubba's is now closed." That's the message the restaurant at the center of the controversy that brought Paula Deen's empire...
1
1

What Happens When One Ganged Breaker Needs To Trip?
As most of us know, the tripped position of a circuit breaker is different than the Off position. The tripped position is kind of mid-way between Off and On. We then need to turn the breaker Off and...
12
12

Things you might never need to know.
Besides mineral spirits, the most commonl solvent used by DIY'ers is probably either lacquer thinner (which is mostly toluene) or acetone. But, there are so many other solvents in a paint store that...
3
3

No hot water
Hello, I have a 7 year old gas hot water heater and no hot water. I hear water constantly running in it and the catch basin is full and water is constatnly running out the overflow tube. Does anyone...
4
4

Interior trim paint
For what it's worth, in case anyone's interested in quality interior trim painting, this is about getting an elegant, oil-base paint look. (If you don't see any difference between acrylic and oil...
7
7

Applying deck stain and sealer
Last Fall we had a 26' by 16' deck built with a 20' ramp on one side and stairs on the other. It was built with Yella pressure treated wood and we will be applying some stain and sealer in a month or...
3
3

Outdoor Cedar: Finish or Just Weather?
Park bench. Slats are 2x6's and rotten after 40 years. Just bought cedar to replace them. The choices I see: - Just leave it raw/natural and let it weather - Stain it with the darkest stain I can find...
2
2

"Abandoned" Phone/Cable/Electric Wires: Who's Responsible?
First guess is that it varies by state - but I'd also guess that the law is crafted so that *somebody* is responsible for almost everything. The situation is what looks like some sort of communication...
6
6

Repair covered by homeowner's insurance?
My parents have a house that was built in the late 1940s. The sewer pipe is the old ceramic type and it runs under the house. Part of it has collapsed and the plumber says he knows where. To get to...
30
30

OT? LCD monitor dead OT?
There was a lot of knowledge displayed above in the "computers" thread so ... My 22" LCD just went dark . When the comp is hooked to it the power light does go green when I input , so I'm fairly sure...
13
13