Subject Author Posted Replies

Misc. results of going away
I just got home from a 4-month trip and found a couple interesting things that relate either to homes or to computers I left in February and was going to call someone to mow my lawn. I had a new rose...
7
7

illuminated doorbell button
When the doorbell button is pushed, a complete circuit is formed, the chime gets power, and we hear the chime. This also means when the button is not pushed, the circuit is not completed and chime...
4
4

Poor man's indoor heat pump - would it work?
Would it work to appreciably cool a room for the power used to put a fan blowing air over a pan of water (maybe layered with wet sponges?) at about 85 to 95 degrees F (dew point 65%) and about 50%...
45
45

Front door weahtherstipping prevents door from shutting
Front door weahtherstipping on bottom of door prevents door from shutting, and eventually I need to shut the door! II) The door is working pretty well now, only took about an hour to get it to swing...
10
10

Macular degeneration old age magnifying glasses
Birthday gift for someone with Macular degeneration and old age. do you find most useful when there are no reading glasses possible? Amazon.com: Magnifying Glasses
16
16

What screws to rehang a door, going to store soon.
Details later, but first: I) If you had a wood front door door that had been kicked in, so that the top two of the 3 hinges were totally separated from the door, and most of the 8 screws were either...
41
41

OT - car is a dangerous place
A Missouri woman was awarded $5.2 million in a settlement from insurance company GEICO after contracting a sexually transmitted disease from her partner in his vehicle, which was insured by the...
5
5

Cattle Guards?
I know about the ones that are bars across a trench. My neighbors have a couple. What about the ones that are just lines painted on a flat surface? Any tricks to making those? Do they work? Are there...
17
17

OT. Swimming in Chocolate
A couple people fell into a tank at the M&M Factory in Elizabethtown, PA. <> Two individuals were transported to a local hospital after tumbling into a vat of chocolate inside an M&M factory in...
3
3

So did NY State.
House passes sharp new gun restrictions So did NY State, and it will be signed. Outrageous. If any crackpot is not free to own a gun, none of us are free.
6
6

OT: 277 Sig Fury
I WANT ONE !!!! Probably will never be able to afford one though. Chambered in 277 SIG FURY, this first production run special edition features a 13-inch barrel and is fitted with the new SIG SAUER...
18
18

Fuel cost calculator
Talking to a friend yesterday she told me the price of fuel oil today is $5.69/gallon. Makes you wonder about alternatives. In the past, electric resistance heating was always the most expensive but...
3
3

Pay attention while driving
You can get seriously injured there's really no way to put this delicately. A Florida driver distracted by receiving intimate services from his passenger lost track of his surroundings and crashed...
1
1

paint or stain, how to tell?
It's time to refinish my deck. About two third of the finish of the deck is gone. The other one third, being under shade, is still stubbornly adhered to the deck. How do I tell whether the finish is...
3
3

OT. Grouchy Hamsters
Scientists thought they knew how make hamsters friendlier. The opposite happened. <> Scientists accidentally produced a group of rage-fuelled hamsters after a lab test went sensationally wrong. The...
4
4