Subject Author Posted Replies

Patching Asbestos Siding Shingles
There are a couple of those old asbestos siding shingles on the back of our house that have craters gouged out of them; looks like they got hit with a baseball or something. Any suggestions on what to...
4
4

Half of all Canadians live in sod houses
Half of all Canadians live in sod houses that they built themselves from logs and sod they cut themselves.
4
4

Half of americans can’t afford their house
So what exactly are your american residential mortgage rates these days? Here in Canada, the typical home mortgage is between 1.99% and 2.99%. Your US rates are confusing, because unlike here in...
25
25

Steel bathtub repair
I have a 30 year old steel enameled tub, which the floor was chipped years ago. The chip is rusting to the point of worrying about it leaking. I was hoping to get a remodel job done by now, but such...
3
3

AC checkout/tune up $89 a good deal?
One of the big HVAC companies in the area has a coupon where you get an AC checkout, cleaning, etc for $89, including 2lbs of free refrigerant (not necessairly freon so Stormin doesn't have a fit)....
13
13

burn, baby, burn
I've been making some mop (base) boards out of Saltillo tile and even though I seal them before cutting my tile saw spits out so much water that the tiles get pretty wet and take forever to dry. To...
1
1

Back from a work travel trip
Been out of town for a few days on work. I brought home all the samples I could find, including the motel soap, shampoo, and the small maple syrup bottles from Cracker Barrel. Today I took my eye...
24
24

The oven of my JBP29G will no heat
The top burners, oven light and clock still work. When I press the 'bake' button and turn the select knob to 300 - the display shows 100 and on but after a couple seconds there is a beep and that...
1
1

Dual water heaters - can I disable one?
We recently bought a new house that has dual 50-gallon electric water heaters. Each heater has a single 5500 Watt heating element. The 'problem' is that there are only two of us living in the house,...
42
42

I replace the heating element in my kenmore 90 series. It heats but not like it use too.
I replaced my heating element in my kenmore 90 series(it was bad.) I hooked everything back up, nothing was burnt on the connectors. But my heating element seems not to stay on long enough to dry a...
15
15

How Do I Fix A Bad Hydroseed Job
Last fall they dug up a section of our front lawn to replace the gas service. This winter the town plow did its usual fine job of tearing up the front 6 feet of our lawn near the road. A contractor...
14
14

Amazing Economic (non)Recovery: A Third Of America's 18 To 34 Years-Olds Live With Their Parents
Well duh! I would expect to see a lot of college students (18-22 year olds) listed as living at home.
3
3

OT-Way to arrange my computer business
Hello, We use Acronis to back up and change systems at work. A DVD/CD and an external drive are all you need. Why use the cloud when it can be local and as simple as plugging in your archive to the...
13
13

Delta T on good running A/C unit
Hello, What is typical reading of Delta T when system is running well? What is low limit which needs attention. Just starting the unit for the season. TIA,
5
5

Oil those garage door hinges!
I think of myself as being pretty good about maintaining things around our home, but I sure missed this one. One of our 27 year old multipanel single width garage doors equipped with an equally olde...
15
15