Subject Author Posted Replies

Why is the bridge rectifier output shorted when the swtich is not On.
The electric lawn mower I bought over the weekend had its handle folded over and something heavy piled on it, and it crushed and cut some of the electric cord going from the on/off switch to the...
9
9

Too good to be true -- Chapter two
So, to follow up. Friday night I get an email from the seller that s/he went to dust it off and found that the handle had been folded over the electric cord, where it enters the housing, and things...

Replacemment Refrigerator
We have a 20+ year old "built in" Sub Zero (we bought the house with tha refrigerator in place) which we would like to replace. Are there any recommendations, as to a Reliable replacement brand, that...
3
3

Air conditioning decision
My house is about 90 years old, a ~1500 sq foot three bedroom colonial. I'm in Northern NJ, and it's getting pretty hot outside. I currently have not enough window units to keep the whole house cool,...
37
37

Chinese knockoffs.
Has this become very common lately? I know that dollar stores have always sold Chinese crap and I have avoided that. But recently I ordered an extra wall plug in for our Iphone 5's and it wasn't an...
58
58

OT - Dealing with Ins Co When Vehicle Is Totaled
Situation: 10 YO vehicle, 160k miles, excellent condition, inside and out. Hood, windshield, fender, etc. is crushed by fallen tree during a storm. Vehicle has comprehensive coverage. Ins Co has not...
35
35

120v 60Hz surround sound system in European-socket
Hey, So I've been using a simple adapter piece for my computer and phone etc.. and all have charged fine. I've used that piece for my american surround system (120v 60hz). It initially turned on, made...
26
26

Cleaning Boat
Any ideas on what to use to clean mildew off vinyl seats? I don't want to use the bathroom mildew cleaner as it's made for tiles. Also, any suggestions for cleaning really dirty carpeting on the floor...
5
5

A new toilet seat woe!
Daughter gave her dad the new toilet seat yesterday. We haven't installed it yet. I just went to use my toilet and noticed that something looked very wrong. Turns out that the lid is attached by two...
40
40

Anyone ever heard of "Rhino Shield" ? (Never paint your house again)
I hear their commercials often on WJR (AM 760 - the Great Voice of the Great Lakes). They claim it's not paint, while others claim that it's an elastomeric paint containing "3M Ceramic Microspheres"....
3
3

Know your plastic roofing cements
I just spent the last week learning about the plastic roofing cements that Bakor Company makes, and I thought I'd share the knowledge. I'll use Bakor's prices (approximately) and part numbers, but...

Adding Room over Garage
Brain storm #837... adding a room over the garage without having to disturb original house? Extended the roof to avoid any valleys for leakage and add a little storage. Left original roof in place to...
10
10

OT: It was a surprise after all.
Hi, We had our 2 yo dog's DNA analyzed and the result was kinda surprising. We thought it was some Husky, shepherd, lab. mix mutt rescued from nearby native reserve when he was new born puppy. B4 we...
17
17

Home for old radios/televisions
My local historical society was happy to get a woroking 1952 Admiral tv to use in one of their re-created living rooms.
14
14

GE PermaTuf dishwasher (serial # GSD120OT-01) detergent cup stuck closed
Our General Electric PermaTuf dishwasher (serial # GSD120OT-01) detergent cup is stuck closed. Anyone know of an easy fix for this? Or a work around? Thanks!
3
3