Subject Author Posted Replies

UGH!
I'm sick of these box stores. They carry a billion things online, but little in the store. So you want to order a bathtub do you? Yeah, but I'd like to see one first. Sorry, we don't carry it in the...
10
10

Claw Foot Tub
I bought a 100+ year old house. It has a Claw Foot tub, which I will retain. Unfortunatley it has a a few Rust stains, from the drain chain, near the drain etc. I have tried many items, to remove...
11
11

Replacing a cracked sliding window ??
Hi, A window in my office cracked and I want to replace it. How is this typical ly handled? I'd like to do it myself rather then have someone in. Typically , is there a way to get the glass+frame out...
5
5

Thermostat Wiring
So why does a gas furnace control board have a contact for the yellow wire? It makes no sense to me.
10
10

Ultimate DIY
Wow - this story from the NY Times about a tiny mobile house is an inspiration. I hope you can find it at or This young couple really has successfully tackled a problem head-on. HB
19
19

Where is my coolant going?
I have a 2001 S10. For a few years now, it has been losing coolant. I just added a full gallon to the overflow container. I have done that before, maybe three times now. I see no evidence of leakage...
71
71

Demolishing garage
Hi I have an old flat roof garage which I think its roof going to fall anyt ime. The roof has 2 big hols and it is too old. The center wood bar that go es horizontally to hold the roof is broken and I...
23
23

Toenailing thru pressure wood
I'm trying to toenail a couple of galvanized 2 screws. I am familiar with t he process of sliding soap on the threads to make it easier to screw them i n. I get thru with the points showing through...
32
32

Engineering problem
Please don't sneer! This has been bugging me for ages. Orange pails from Home Despot. Carrying handle comes off. I go to put it back. One side goes in one way; the other upside down. Put one in, the...
7
7

r410a vs r22
I replaced my r22 unit with a 410 4 ton 14 sear unit in 2008. I am Epa cert. My unit has run flawless since its install. I feel it is thefuture of a/c. The pressures have not been any problem.
2
2

The British sure do talk funnily (gobsmacked barmy)
"Alan Hinkes, the only Briton to have climbed all 14 mountains higher than 26,246ft (8,000m) and who reached the top of K2 a few weeks before Alison's death, said: 'I was gobsmacked when I heard. You...
5
5

Ideas to remove middle decking boards?
I'm in the process of replacing 1/2 my decking boards with new 5/4 x 6 boards. It works out to half the width of the deck measured side to side. Where the old and the new meet I'll be intermingling...
9
9

Three enigmas on my hike this morning (ask for your CSI skills)
Three enigmas on my hike this morning: 1. The mystery of the polished elderberries ... 2. What creature is swirling the steel water tanks ... 3. What kind of algae is white and takes over the pond ......
7
7

How do you sharpen kitchen fruit peelers?
I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull. How does one sharpen them? http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg
36
36

replacing 32" x 22" wood frame basement windows
I have a wood frame single pane 32" x 22" hopper style window that was installed in the 60's that is in a storage room in the basement. I was think of using a glass block/with vent from Lowes...
6
6