Subject Author Posted Replies

12 cu ft frost free fridge not cooling properly
I have a 12 cubic foot frost free fridge (Camco Model CRT1200VLT-1) whose freezer isn't cold enough to keep meat frozen. This is one of those GE apartment size fridges where you have to take out the...
48
48

One more wiring ?
Thanks to all who gave answers on my previous thread. I now have my Romex mounted on a "runner" board. I noticed that there is also some BX in place that is just run across the bottoms on the joists...
26
26

furnace blower motor keeps runing
Where are all these relays and boards I am to tap? I turned off heat/cooling at thermostat and blower kept running. I then turned off furance at main and everything blower stopped. AC was not running...
8
8

paint prep - scrape or burn?
I need to paint the clapboards on our dormers. The paint is oil-base, ~20 years old. After I scrape and sand, I can often still catch an edge of the scraped area, and pop off another small-ish patch...
9
9

Pre-treat weeds with soapy water before spraying weed killer?
I mix concentrated Ortho Weed B Gon (Plus Grabgrass Control) with water according to the label and use a 1-gallon handpump sprayer. I suppose that it works, but I don't exactly see the spray "wetting"...
74
74

OT? basketball hoops
I found a basketball hoop, and instead of the sqiggly things one can hook the net to, this one has what look like small carpet tacks pointed up. Little nails with heads. I want to advertise and give...
1
1

OT - cold chicken
I'll admit, it's not home repair. But I don't know a usenet list that fits the question. Went to lunch today, and Mom and I, both of us got cold chicken. Which was supposed to be hot chicken. Took it...
21
21

Help- rotted out wood at base of door jam problem
My garage back access door faces the main wind direction, and depending on the season, wind driven rain or snow piles up there. Over the past 11 yrs, I've heavily painted and caulked the area, and...
44
44

OT - How to tell someone to shut up without offending them?
I'm wondering if someone can help me out here. I'm having problems with prospective tenants that seem to want to tell me their life story when they're looking at a vacant apartment for rent. They...
31
31

thanks, was: Why is the bridge rectifier output shorted when i
Ah, you've just answered a related question I had with my (bought used a year ago) Sears rechargeable battery mower. (4 by 12V batteries in series -> 48 volt) The batteries caught on fire (yes,...

Best Home Gutters?
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I'm new to the group. (and sorry tldr people, I'm trying to cover what we've done in order to get good advice.) We want to replace our gutters. They're old,...
12
12

OT - Just can't win - with neighbors or the lovely wife...
On the 4th, an otherwise good neighbor several doors down started shooting off these huge starburst types landing all over the neighborhood, and in particular in my back yard and roof. I've never...
8
8

How long does it take a truck to stop & is it criminal if he doesn't?
What distance does a sand truck take to slow down on a 6% grade? If it can't stop in that distance, is it criminal? This accident yesterday blocked the highway for 10 hours, with the CHP saying it was...
126
126

Wiring ?
My house is over 100 years old and the cold air returns are simply sheet metal nailed between two joists. I know that when running romex though holes bored in the joists according to the National...
36
36

Under-lighted countertop
Here is a Corian kitchen counter that is lighted from underneath: I had not seen this before. Don. (e-mail link at home page bottom). List of web sites put up by Don Wiss. Historical info. Recipes....