Subject Author Posted Replies

If a thread takes months, is it better to stay on the same thread?
My habits are to read the top 10 or 20 threads (whatever fits on one screen), so, I wouldn't see a thread that is old, by a few weeks. On the other hand, there's a thread about the treehouse in the...
27
27

3M Filtrete Filters For Hot Air Furnaces
Hello, Have been using the 3M (Red) Micro Allergen filter with the 1000 rating for many, many years. Have develped Asthma, and would like to step up to a "better" one with the superior filter...
7
7

New construction on older cape
I have a 2 story cape with an unfinished 2nd floor. Should i insulate the sub floor before i start framing?
4
4

We started the 100-foot long 10-foot wide deck high up in the California redwoods
Just to keep you informed, and to get your advice on better ways to tackle the engineering problems: After a lot of initial setup of ladders strapped to the trees: And setup of the many utillity...
58
58

Refilling hot water boiler help!
I drained my boiler (Utica gas boiler from '85 with Fill-Trol expansion tank) in order to reinstall two radiators. After paying to have the radiators attached I can't afford to pay to have the pro's...
5
5

Blacktop at 80 degrees
I learned in the past couple weeks that blacktop at 80 degrees iirc is soft enough that the wheels of a floor jack, or the bottom outline of jack stands will sink into the blacktop. This is an...
17
17

9 volt charger with a 7.5 volt Makita drilll?
What happens if you use a smaller than the original 9 volt charger with a 7.5 volt Makita drill, which currently is totally dead. I just don't have time to find a 7.5 volt wall wart, and it's not...
3
3

NiMh batteries
Looking for recommendations for 9 volt NiMh batteries. EBL has one they claim has a 600 mah capacity. What about Tenergy's 200 mah battery ? Especially interested to hear from those who have used...
19
19

chilipepper water recirculating
Does anyone have any experience with or opinions about the chilipepper hot water recirculation pumps Running a separate return pipe would be a lot of work and unlike the other brands you all told me...
11
11

Maintenance Free Battery!
Long ago I read that sulfate left on battery plates eventually hardens. In addition, it?s good to have a battery well charged before hitting the starter because the surge can knock sulfate off the...
8
8

Chainsaw Comment
Likely unrelated to Danny D's post today. Maybe ten years ago, I stopped at a friend's to help him cut up some damaged trees after a wind storm. He remarked to me that his chain saw takes straight...

Drat. I have been using TCW-3 two-stroke oil in my chainsaw gas:oil mixture for two years
I just realized, when I bought a new gas can to mix a new batch of 50:1 two-stroke oil for my chainsaw, that I have been using TCW-3 two-stroke oil for the past two years. Drat!
32
32

Transmatic
My lawn tractor has a Transmatic transmission. It slips in "5th gear". A transmatic has a drive belt coming off of the engine which goes to a double pulley. A belt travels from this pulley to a...

furnace replacement vs. heat pump
My husband and I want to replace our old furnace and defunct central air sy stem. We have called four contractors for estimates. Each one of them has t ried very hard to sell us a heat pump. Several...
24
24

Bathroom sink faucet handle won't come off (stuck?)
i tried the same puller no go. next step is the cutoff wheel to cut handle in half/
9
9