Subject Author Posted Replies

What type of oil to use on Old Maytag Wringer Washer
I just got an old Maytag Wringer washer which I intend to use for stuff like oily rags and horse blankets, etc. (Stuff I dont want to put in my regular washer). This machine is called the Maytag...
8
8

Electric Code question
Just curious.. In many houses I've owned I've added electrical outlets by tapping into the electric that comes into the box where the light switch is. Usually I put the added electric outlet down by...
36
36

How to define "Electrical"?
The local Goodwill store had a HALF PRICE on all Electrical items yesterday. The sign read: "Everything Electrical is Half Price Today - Anything that plugs in". I got: Lamp timer with a 120V cord on...
40
40

Heating finished basement: add hydronic zone or use AC/heat pump?
Hi. I'm finishing my basement (open floor plan, 800sqft, walk-out, full height, cinderblock walls, no water issues, in New York). It will have 2" EPS ins ulation on interior of cinderblock walls,...
8
8

Where are those GE LED light bulbs at Home Depot?
I thought there was going to be a special deal for a couple months starting May? I don't see them in the store.
5
5

Wills: "Pay all medical expenses" boiler plate?
Every will I have seen so far contains boiler plate to the effect that the executor is directed to immediately pay all medical expenses. Seems counter-intuitive to me. Why not directives to pay all...
35
35

Next winters propane prices
I just got a letter from our propane supplier and a related contract to lock in next years supply (900 gallon) at $1.029! I definitely think that there is more upside risk than downside so we will do...
10
10

SD 9500 stops working, has power
When I tried to open the door, it moved about three inches then stopped. It has 120 to it, 24 v to the wall switch but does not activate with the wall switch or remote. I waited an hour and no change....
16
16

Can't understand plat
A friend moved to a more rural area, to a new subdivision. There are one or more parts of her plat we don't understand. She and 4 neighbors live on a private road, which comes from a newly built road....
20
20

changing an attic roof vent fan
My thermostatic attic roof vent fan made these horrible screeching noises and died. I can turn the blades but it takes a lot of force where it should spin easily. I cut the power to it until I can get...
66
66

HVAC Air Conditioner DIY repair question
If you recall, a couple of weeks ago my air conditioner quit working. With your encouragement, I was able to narrow the problem to a compressor contactor malfunctioning, which caused its coil as well...
33
33

OT, as I often do. Snap problem
At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two snaps to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no...
14
14

French drain exit
I am installing a French drain between my driveway and house. The only plac e to exit the French drain is on top of the driveway. However, If the end o f the drain exits the driveway, this severely...
5
5

Auto Headlight Restorer
My older pickup truck has foggy headlights. This seems to be the result of poor manufacturing, since the older GLASS headlights never had that problem. But aside from bitching about it, there is...
49
49

Are roots a danger, how to remove them
A neighbor moved into her townhouse 20 years ago and there were no roots in her backyard. Now they have a beautiful yard with perfect grass and benches facing the woods and other nice stuff, but roots...
14
14