Subject Author Posted Replies

footboard repair
The all wood footboard of one of our beds has been squeaking at the joint where the horizontal board attaches to the vertical post. I tried spraying some silicone in there a few weeks ago to silence...
21
21

Does anyone remember ARCO Graphite Oil?
Does anyone remember ARCO Graphite Oil? (Motor Oil) This oil was real popular in the 70's, then it seemed to just vanish. What ever happened to it? Did you use it? If you did, what was your opinion of...
31
31

Circuit box upgrade question(s)
I am having my electrician buddy help me replace an old circuit box in a fairly old house. Much of the wiring is old and cloth covered from the 40's. What happens if one of the wires we are replacing...
40
40

Hey MM, Three more
Maurice White, 74 Paul Katner, 74 Signe Toly Anderson, 74
1
1

Trimming broken limbs
I need to trim off some broken limbs 8-10 inches in diameter that broke off from the wind last week. I can handle the lower ones with my reciprocating saw. What's the best way to attack the ones 8-10...
33
33

OT Blue vehicle headlights
Do those blue (halogen?) headlights, getting more and more popular, often blind you from an approaching vehicle? I seem to be finding them more and more disturbing. If this is really a problem, why...
59
59

chain drive garage door opener
Neighbor complaining of a rattling noise. Didn't take more than a moment to determine chain is slack on his GDO. Simple fix -- end of story. But, got me wondering as to the potential downside of a...
8
8

Cord of firewood: terms n' prices
I usta live in CA, where a cord of oak went fer about $200. I now live in Colorado and CO has no native hardwoods. Pine and Aspen go fer about $200 cord, but a buddy sez all the "cords", hereabouts,...
11
11

Aquasource shower faucet
Ran into an interesting situation. A couple years ago, we contracted with a well-thought-of home repairman to replace a shower stall in a rental unit. The tech used a very nice-n-thick fiberglass...
1
1

Laminate flooring
I am going to have Lowes put down about 300 sqft of Pergo Laminate flooring. I have a quote from them and it seems reasonable. They did not seem to specify any underlayment for the flooring. Should...
9
9

built to last
Award winning construction series. The show will also strive to showcase public and private economic developments and partnerships, and a dedication to the building industry.

Plumbing help with water filter
Hi, I am on a tight budget, but trying to put in an under-sink water filter to address problems with the lead water main on my street. I actually have such a filter that I used a couple apartments...
3
3

we bought a new house, and got a bad roof job about 3 months ago, what do we do?
We just bought a house 5 months ago, and we knew it needed a new roof. We thought we did our homework finding a good roofing company, but we didn't. They finished the job about a month and a half ago,...
84
84

synthetic motor oil
Mentioned elsewhere what I was doing. Getting older I've been having shop do oil changes. I used to do it for convenience of not being pinned down waiting for it rather than cost but when you add...
93
93

paraffin heater to help heal a broken finger
wanted: paraffin heater to help heal a broken finger Can someone explain this?
3
3