You realize this is floor re-finisher and not any good for renewing n/w
jacks? Geez get a good jack at Big boxers or electrical supply and replace
it, weatherproof it as possible, put a drain hole in, and stuff it with
grease as noted by others. I had an interior jack do this in a modular
classroom where the roof leaked into the wall cavity.
Until January of 1965, Bob Dylan used to mount his jack outside his
trailer. Then he discovered, "the jack don't work cuz a vandal took the
That's probably why Micky's jack doesn't work! He needs to post his
property: "Fine for Trespassing."
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 06:09:40 -0400, J Burns
Fancy that. Hard to find gold and here it is right here at Home Depot.
I'll probably get it this morning. Thanks a lot.
I'll change the plug for a new one and get gold plugs a little later
Rewiring is not really an option, Bob. Long story. But this is the
first real problem I've had in 10 years and with gold instead of copper
I'm probably good for 20 more**. I'll rewrap the connection too, and
maybe check the wrapping in less than 10 years this time. (There's a
motorcycle in the way now, which I have to sell.)
I may use the grease too, thanks Unc.
**That will make me 88 years old. I'm going to have a lot of work to
do that year. I hope I'm up to it.
I first found grease in a telephone jack at a neighbor's service
entrance. I thought somebody had goofed because other jacks I'd seen at
service entrances had been clean. I learned grease was SOP for the phone
I once set up a carport light with three-way switches. The outdoor
switch box was well protected from rain, but switches didn't last long.
Outdoors, a switch can sometimes be colder than the dew point. That
means condensation. The same thing could happen in a telco service
entrance box. That explains why they use grease.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 29 Jul 2015 22:51:19 -0400, micky
It seems 50 is enough. In fact I found a page that said gold plating
ranged from 3 to 6 microns, up to 50, which is the best.
Of course the question remains, doest it really have anywhere near that
much, especially considering the first plugs I found were only 12 cents
each, and shipping for as few as 1 or as many as 10 or more was only $3.
But the much bigger problem is finding jacks, surface mount, and JB did
As of yesterday: Except for Radio Shack brand, which with shipping is
now 2 or 3 times the price it was at the store, this is the only surface
mount that mentinos gold that I've found:
and they only say "Gold-Plated Screw Terminals". Woudl they really be
dumb enough to gold plate the screw terminals, which don't need it, and
not the springy things that touch the plug contacts?
Been there, wore out that t-shirt.
Got an outside line (POTS/DSL) from my point-of-access (PA) to house.
Couldn't find a single line long enough so connected two lines with
dbl-female union. Over the last Spring, lost both phone and internet
connectivity several times. Each time it was mold ("black") on the
contacts of the mid-line union.
My solution: old tooth brush and WD40 (which is a water displacement
(WD) formula, not a lubricant!). Hosed all connections w/ WD40 and
scrubbed mold out with toothbrush. Worked well in dead of
rainy-season as a quick-fix, but finally hadda buy a new union.
DSL via POTS (plain ol' telephone system) can drop only the DSL signal
OR only the phone signal OR both. I've had good, scratchy, and plain
ol' dead from both signals, independent of each other. No kidding.
internet connectivity worked fine, but phone signal was dead. I'm
still scratching my head on that one. ;)
In alt.home.repair, on 30 Jul 2015 15:53:43 GMT, notbob
Well, maybe I should go into detail. The first time I thought to test
the phone I called myself and it said it was a disconnected number.
Yikes! I thought, that would explain why the internet didn't work.
Later I looked at redial and it really was my number. And I used
redial and got a busy signal, So I think the first time the line was
so scratchy .... it misinterpreted a tone to be a diferent number..
I haven't had the last one, But I have had iirc Usenet works, email
works, but web doesn't work. That's when I actually let someone from
the phone company come out. Even though it was my fault, I don't think
he charged me. He said there are several levels of failing.
While I was talking to him, either he or I decided my wire from the NID
to the modem was inadequate. It was flat stuff used to go from the
wall to the phone, and it was cheap flat stuff, because I'm cheap, and
it never occurred to me it could degrade anything. I bought 100 feet
of it, because I'm not totally cheap. It was also still wrapped on the
spool, 75 feet of it, so maybe that caused inductive problems. I
think I had just put it in because, like in your previous post, I had
been using two wires conected with a dbl-female, and I knew that would
But this wire was thinner than that, and when I put that in, I lost my
web!. So I went to the round white stuff meant for inside the walls,
and stiffer than the minimum is what I had. And I put modular jacks on
each end and a very short male to male modular cord on the outside going
to the NID. (and another longer one on the inside to the modem, but
that one doesn't get wet.) And my download speed tripled from two
kinds of wire earlier. (since there was almost no downloading with the
wire I used second.) People have told me this can't happen, but it did
and I'm 98% sure there was no other reason.
And that's where I am now.
I have some thin shielded cable that is supposed to replace the round
white wire, maybe later this summer.
If your NID has a disconnect jack, you could plug in a phone there to
see if there's any problem outside your own wiring.
My phone wiring is so old that there's not even a disconnect plug at the
service entrance. I think it's two insulated wires twisted around each
other. I could use a browser to get a GIU interface with my DSL modem.
It kept a record of what it measured when I dialed up. That showed me
that my old wiring handled the frequencies very well.
There were intermittent problems on voice and DSL. I disconnected my
home wiring at the NID, clipped a jumper across the ends, and used a
meter to find any resistance in the system. There was a little
resistance where a spade terminal of the wall jack screwed down. I
cleaned that up.
Intermittent scratchiness continued for years. One morning it was
especially bad. When I phoned to report it, they said they'd have it
fixed in 24 hours. When I phoned from a neighbor's an hour later to say
I'd lost service completely, they said a week.
I ordered cable. When the phone man showed up, he found that the phone
cable along the street was broken in two places. I'll bet they'd been
broken for years. By now, my neighbor had been without phone service
four days. The phone man told her he could have fixed it in five minutes
because he knew where her break was and his ladder was up, but that
would have been against company policy. She had to wait a few more days.
Cable gives me five times the speed for less than half the price of DSL.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 02:11:33 -0400, J Burns
This is the first time I can recall scratchiness in the phone, so I'm
not going to worry about it.
You probably know that in most places, the phone company will put a NID
in for free.
No kidding? How would I do that?
That was the Marine slogan. "Scratcihness we do immediately. No
service we take a week."
Glad to hear that.
It turns out instead of looking for gold-plated phone modular
connectors, there are screws inside the NID that I plan to use. That
will get rid of their modular connection and my own. and it won't get
moldy or whatever because it can be tightened down, compared to my wire
that blew in the wind. I don't know if slight moviement of the plug in
the jack would clean the connection or allow it to get dirty.
I'm usually foggy about technical jargon, so I looked it up. An NID is
the box where home wiring connects to telco wiring. It may or may not
have a jack.
In 1996, I discovered that my phone electrode wasn't bonded to my power
electrode, 30 feet away. In 1998, lightning hit a tree 30 feet away. It
blew the "fuse" on the pole across the street, but my computer and phone
equipment were OK. I told the phone guy I thought the ground surge would
have wiped out my stuff if I hadn't bonded the electrodes.
For half an hour, he hemmed and hawed. Then he blurted it out. The
electrical code called for bonding, but it was against telco policy
because they didn't like replacing fuses.
I would have liked a jack, but I figured it would be dangerous to let a
company like that replace my NID.
For my current modem, I type the IP 192.168.100.1. Sometimes the modem
manual tells you the IP. In this case, I looked it up in Network in
System Preferences. The procedure to find the IP is probably a little
different in Windows.
The one place I found resistance in my home wiring was in a screw-down
connection indoors. Grease should prevent that in a jack or a screw
The ISP assigns a WAN IP. To ask the modem, "How's it going?" the
computer uses the LAN IP.
If I ping my WAN IP, the signal will go to my ISP and back. If I just
want to ping my modem, I use the LAN IP.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.