Subject Author Posted Replies

Resistance of thermal switch in thermocouple - does it matter - hot water heater - generic replacement
Why do you think the resistance matters? Did you put a replacement one without the thermal fuse in and does it work? If it does, end of story on the resistance part. The real issue I see is if this is...
34
34

sewer plug
Will a sewer plug work the same as a Backwater Check Valves? And will it cause water pressure damage to the sewer drain under the basement floor if the drain system gets overloaded from a heavy rain...
9
9

Microwave Turntable Motor: Interchangeability?
My friend's microwave oven has a non-working burnt out turntable motor. Som e liquid spilled down to it, resulting in charred windings. These little mo tors are all AC synchronous motors. The original...

Designing a house in tornado-ridden places
Why are they still using wood? Can't they move their expensive equipment to basement before leaving their homes? It just does not make sense.... Remember the 3 pigs building houses stories? :)
10
10

Anyone using a carbon fiber door?
Thinking that you would never see one unless on a modern airplane. Carbon fiber is expensive and only useful where weight saving is important.
9
9

(OT) Never Trust People who wear Clothing
Never Trust People who wear Clothing. Because they always have something to hide!

Which side of toilet for paper holder?
I saw a posting somewhere (maybe here) where the poster was concerned that the toilet paper holder would be on the left side of the seated person. Th e poster was concerned about right-handed persons...
9
9

Desktop computer question
I'm leaving the task manager open (minimized) and watching the cpu usage , I frequently see it running over 70% , and maxed out pretty often . Especially when opening a web browser or loading a...
48
48

"Welcome Mats" are no longer acceptable by home doors.....
Welcome Mats are no longer acceptable by home doors..... All you are doing is welcoming criminals, thiefs, robbers, salesmen, idiots, and other rif-raff..... Say what you really feel . . . . . Get one...
3
3

Furnance blower motor shutting off and on.
Using the blower to move cool air from the basement to the rest of the house. When I try to use the AC it still shuts off and takes longer each time to reset but the outside unit continues to run.
1
1

GE mini-fridge no longer cools
The 4.3 cu.ft. fridge SMR04DASACS -- maybe 10 years old -- that we keep in the basement for our reserve stock of OJ, milk and eggs has quit cooling. I hear the temperature control click as I turn the...
3
3

Maybe way OT: spam in Yahoo email account
I had the same experience until I changed my password. Haven't had a single piece of spam in more than 2 weeks. Just make sure it's not a password you use or have used for another account (which may...
2
2

Incredible DIY Project
On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 05:26:19 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote in He did a good job.
1
1

Cleaning fluid for fabric
You thinking of naptha, maybe? It should still be available. Cotton or synthetic; gotta' be careful not to "melt" some of the synthetics with highly-volatile petroleum spirits, of course. Just some...
15
15

Sign on the Door at a Farmhouse
Forget the "Welcome Mat" . . . . Sign on the Door at a Farmhouse ATTENTION MARES: THE OWNER OF THIS HOME IS A WILD STALLION, WHO IS HUNG LIKE A HORSE. * ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK *