Subject Author Posted Replies

opinions on bifold doors vs. french doors?
Hi, I'm framing a laundry closet in the basement for side-by-side washer and dr yer. The doorway I made is 72" wide. My first thought was to install two 3ft wide bifold doors (one on either side). A...
11
11

Recommendation for cordless drill/saw??
I too feel your pain. We have two choices, either buy new batteries every 3 years or buy corded tools. And FWIW, the after-market batteries are total junk.
32
32

Metal roof over shingles
Did this to my house 10 years ago. Worked fine. No problems since. And the electric bill went down as did the insurance bill. -dan z-
7
7

Suggestions for capturing mice in the pantry (or not)
Jeez. You live amongst rattle snakes and black widow spiders and you fret about tiny little mice?
84
84

Vacuum cleaner amperage and suction power relationship
This is a general question about how to choose vacuum cleaner suction by the specifications (specifically by amperage). At a garage sale, I picked up three vacuum cleaners for almost nothing (because...
37
37

Opinions
I'm looking for a vacuum for carpets. Any suggestions?
17
17

Par20 led bulbs
In a track lighting?
3
3

Your Smart TV could be hacked a lot more easily than you might think
My poor old CRT sets have no network connectivity and no web browsers so I guess I won't be joining in the "fun."
15
15

OS upgrades
And, as you well know, HDD isn't the only host for a 'boot sector'. Floppies can have them, as can USB memory sticks.
190
190

Invasion of Fruit flies
This seem trivial, but it really isn't. I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them. This is what I have tried. 1. Keeping garbage lids closed. 2. Spraying them and garbage...
12
12

Would this drain pipe work?
Would someone please tell me if there is anything wrong with the drain pipe in the following photo? Please note that the actual pipe is not yet installed. The photo shows the cutting in the wall where...
16
16

Where to buy a non-condensing boiler?
We keep the blower on all the time, too. Vents in the ceiling suggests no basement and HVAC equipment in the attic. Is that the case? Basements are extremely common here in Michigan, and it makes more...
24
24

Stucco or Plaster over Structural Clay Blocks
I have a basement that has walls made of structural clay blocks. More than a decade ago I chipped and scraped most of the paint off the walls. I even used a high pressure washer to get what I could...
1
1

Padding Boat Trailer Crossarms?
viz: I want to make those cross arms a lot more shin-friendly. Pool noodle does not last - tried it on my roof racks and it wore out quickly - and there's the diameter issue. Maybe pipe insulation,...
2
2

tiles above tub look wet
A few years ago this happened on another spot (I thought soap scum retained water) and eventually the wall crumbled and had to be rebuilt. Is it a sign the wall behind the tiles are wet? Is it enough...
2
2