Subject Author Posted Replies

thinking if getting Trex deck
I think it is all clad. Exposed to elements it should be OK in sunlight but like other plastics can suffer erosion or wearing away by things that abraid it. Think of plastic automobile lenses. I was...
12
12

Cut Off Top Half of Cracked Bathroom Mirror?
Mirror is about five feet wide x four feet tall. Crack is in the top half, about two feet long, terminating at an edge. What are the chances a professional can cut the top half of the mirror off,...
5
5

Wet/dry vacuum hose
Hi, I've a ShopVac brand wet/dry vac that has a 2.25" diameter opening for a ho se. I've seen some low-cost 20ft long hoses for sale online, but they're all 1. 25" hose with a 2.25" cuff. And I've...
8
8

Finally a LED bulb that produces decent light when dimmed
I just bought a Philips BR40 65W Soft White Warm Glow LED bulb. It's the first one that I've seen that produces a decent color light when dimmed. All the others look cold, like fluorescent and are...
2
2

Stay in smaller house in nice area OR buy large fixer upper in remote woods
So my husband has experience with fixing up his grandmas house which we live in now. For years I just didn't like the house 1023sq (2bd, 1 bath, unusable garage, on a busy street) we have a toddler...
10
10

nice when something actually works
have to get the lawn mowed today and so pulled the mower out of the shed, changed the oil, topped off the gas... started on first pull. luckily i do not have to do the mowing (yet). songbird
15
15

OT: Potential Government Shutdown
With all of the recent news about government funding there was mention of essential and non-essential government workers. My question is why are there ANY non-essential government workers? That should...
5
5

OT: V.A. enrollment
I recently tried to enroll in the V.A. and because I had none of the following qualifications apply to me I was not eligible: Receive financial compensation from VA for a service-connected disability...
5
5

Repairing Woodford Model 25 outdoor wall faucet
I have a Woodford Model 25 outdoor faucet. I am using the Woodford Model 25 repair kit to repair Wheel Handle, Head Nut and plunger assembly (parts #3, #4 and #10). See the image After opening the...
3
3

New cures from ancient medicine
Researchers are poring over an important medieval medical text with 360 recipes, many of which might have successfully fought infection long before modern science.

O.T. -> U.S. Store closings
What do you think about this article ? Do you think that close to 8600 stores will close ? Even though Amazon has taken a lot of market share, a lot of folks do not want to wait to buy something....
11
11

OT Renting a car?
Our local car rental fleets are generally under 18 months old -very seldom more than one model year old, and usually current models. I doubt any get tires replaced during their tenure as rentals. When...
107
107

They Should Have Asked My Husband
Some folk here may enjoy this not-so-recent poem by Pam Ayers Perhaps you'll let me know! They Should Have Asked My Husband
3
3

OT Button holes
Sewing machines make button holes parallel to the direction the fabric travels. You can put the top of a shirt in the machine, move it a couple inches for every buttonhole, and when you reach the...
30
30

Melting Bar Soap?
Yes, it does. I've been doing this for many, many years.
36
36