Subject Author Posted Replies

Power backup ideas
I'm not sure if it's true or not - I once heard that after years of un-use - the magnets < field magnets ? > can lose their magnetic-ness or sumpthin' So your unused engine might still work fine but...
21
21

Hidden telephone cable
How can I find a telephone cable (without a phone jack) that is covered by wallpaper in my room?
19
19

OT: video terminal eye fatigue and dry eye
There are glasses that help even for those that do not normally need glasses.
4
4

Hook on hollow core door
I need to add a hook to the basement bathroom door. I see the holes from the last owner, but of course they didn't hold. I know there are anchors made for this, but they don't look secure, and if they...
7
7

GFCI & Ants
Interesting experience the other day, the GFI for the in-ground pool would not reset. When I first looked at the outdoor outlet, it was covered in ants, which at first didn't make much sense. After...
5
5

Dynamite Blasting
I am about to have a dynamite blast done within 50-75 feet of our crawl space foundation and within 35 feet of a concrete slab pad. The builder/developer has sent a earth beneath structural company to...
4
4

Talk about pricing...
I don't see how you can claim things were more energy efficient back when. Old houses had wooden siding, studs, then plaster. No insulation in the walls or above the ceilings. Compare the old tube tvs...
35
35

OT...... 'Self-driving' lorries to be tested on UK roads
Funny how that doesn't happen with automatic cars. -- = Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!
6
6

Substitutes for Gorilla Glue
  I have a small one in the refrigerator that has been open for a couple of years or more . Still liquid and usable - I just checked it , it's thick but that's probably because it's cold .   --  ...
5
5

Hitatchi VCR Problems
I bought a early 1980's-era Hitachi VCR (billed as a VTR on its casing) and connections, dispays and buttons all work. Only thing not working is its heads (the most important part). Putting a tape in...

Can I open sump pump with sealed radon mitigation system?
I purchased a house with working sump pump/radon mitigation system. I was concerned if the sump pump was working. I unplugged both plugs and just plugged in the pump and it worked. However since its...
2
2

OT Very, how do you buy airplane tickets when you are going together only one direction?
OT Very, how do you buy airplane tickets when you are going together only one direction? A friend and I are going on a trip together, but I'm staying longer than she is. IIRC, when you buy tickets for...
4
4

UK Don't boil the kettle while charging your electric car because it will blow the fuse, National Grid warns
That is just strange to Americans. The minimum allowable service in the US is 100a at 240v (specified in the electrical code) and it has been that way for at least 50-60 years. Most common is 200a and...
7
7

outdoor sign material
My suggestion is to let the others handle it. No matter what you end up with, some will not like the result. Where I worked we had a hand painted sign made, Fifteen years later, it still looks good...
4
4

OT ecliptical timing
So you needed to point out that the difference between the start of the eclipse and totality confused you? I'd like to see the reference for that claim. It would seem to me that the rotation speed of...
2
2