3/4 completed roofing project and contractor won't come back to finish

I have been waiting patiently for Fitzpatrick Construction in Elizabethtown to come back to my property to finish a roofing job they started and never finished. I blogged about it at

I have received two responses so far. Unfortunately I trusted this guy and paid him the balance and now he won't come back to finish the job. Apparently I'm not the only one Rob Fitzpatrick has screwed over. Lesson learned, Fitzpatrick Construction is not to be trusted. Apparently two months isn't enough time for them to put a new roof on an area of about 300 square feet.

Reply to
rideswitch56

at

I have

never pay anyone till the job is complete.

now call local tv statrions and newspapers, and tell the thief he has

5 days or they are doing a story on him that will put him out of business forever

also call the police, its theft they will stop and discuss things with him:)

Reply to
hallerb

It's a crime (fraud) to take money and not complete the job. File a complaint with your local PD.

Reply to
Meat Plow

at

I have

Welcome to the real word. Rob won't come back unless you make him so make your complaints, as the others have said to anyone who will listen. It doesn't make any sense to wait around for Rob, however. He may never come back. In the meantime, someone needs to get up there right away to either finish the job or even just cover with a tarp. Some contractors just change the name of the company and start over when thing get too hairy.

Reply to
Lawrence

at

I have

I agree it was a mistake to make the final payment before the job was complete. I would be surprised, however, if the police do much. 2 months seems reasonable and I'm sure the contractor will just say he's busy, it's on the list and he'll finish it up. While it may not be a bad idea to get something on file with the local PD, I'd suspect you'd have better luck dealing directly with the contractor. If he tells you flat out he won't finish the job, a call to the police may be prudent.

I also agree with the poster that said to get it covered up in the mean time. If you are not able to get up there and get a tarp secured over it, hire someone that is. Good luck, please let us know how this pans out, especially what the police say and do if you decide to call them.

Reply to
DanKMTB

Is this company bonded?

Reply to
<josh

Check with your local authorities. Most areas have some regulation on contractors. See what protection you may, or may not have in this situation. In some areas this can end up in small claims court or you may need legal representation . Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

call to local police free, and will come with free advice. lots of positives if they stop and chat with thief, kinda makes him nervous

Reply to
hallerb

Put in a call to your insurance company. If your property suffers water damage...

Me? I&#39;d get someone else to finish the job and sue the original contractor in small claims court. First, however, I&#39;d get my evidence lined up - certified letters and the like.

Reply to
HeyBub

I did that - won the $5,000 judgment - still haven&#39;t seen a dime 2 years later. The court is great at finding in the consumer&#39;s favor, but they have no way to force deadbeats to pay.

Reply to
<h>

If the guy has no assets you are out of luck, but around here you can hire a marshall to seize his assets.

Reply to
Toller

in some areas failure to pay court judgement equals loss of drivers license

Reply to
hallerb

Because this "contractor" needs his van, tools and driver&#39;s license to ply his trade (i.e., rip off the unsuspecting), the sheriff can&#39;t seize any of it. Those are the only things in his name. The sheriff told me that this guy makes a good living and he&#39;s sued about once a month. He takes the deposit, spends about 2 days doing the demo, and then splits, never to be heard from again. I can&#39;t believe that he&#39;s allowed to keep the "tools of his trade" when, clearly, his "trade" is grifting. He&#39;s a "traveler" who doesn&#39;t travel. He just changes his business name every few months, and he&#39;s all set.

Reply to
<h>

Sell the debt to a collection agency for $.25 on the dollar, and let them figure it out. You won&#39;t get much money, but with any luck the agency will hound the bastard for the next two generations.

Reply to
Goedjn

I tried that. Once I told them the guy&#39;s name, they said no, they&#39;d tried to collect from him before, and got nothing.

Reply to
<h>

had a similar problem back when i was young and dumb. police and county attourney said it was a crime,but didnt want to mess with it. i finally requested to present my case myself to a grand jury, a right we all have,. they indicted him and i got my money back after we got him in court.

ds549