Subject Author Posted Replies

In general, what temperature do you keep your house living areas at during the winter?
> living areas at during the active times of the day when people are up and > about?
27
27

Insulating UNOCCUPIED Attics in Residences
I have always gone by the philosophy that the overhead(roof) rafters should not be batted unless the attic will be fully sheet-rocked, climate-controlled and lived in, and only the attic...
7
7

Relative Humidity in the attic???
I have a temp/humidity sensor in the attic. The attic and outside temperatures vary, but the DEW POINT should be the same. Often, they are. But it's been wet this month and they don't always track. At...
6
6

Handrail in stairs with knee wall. Do I need the open side closed?
I would like to know if installing a handrail on the closed side of the stairs and nothing on the knee wall is enough to pass a home inspection. Or do I need to close the open side. Leave all safety...
3
3

Outdoor-Mounted TV Antennas
Do Outdoor-Mounted TV Antennas get less effective with age? Do the pivot-points of the elements need to make a good *electrical* connection, or is proximity good enough?
3
3

Need to Replace Unbranded Remote for Lamp Switch
Remote control model: TX-220, 315MHz Lamp switches model: SK504 CR2032 battery for the remote control lasts less than a month. I replaced it a with rechargeable Li-on CR2032 battery but changing the...
10
10

water line insurance
Read the fine print first. Many of those "insurance" plans have so many caveats and exclusions that you'll end up paying anyway in the end. Note in this case, Dominion is farming it out to "HomeServe"...
12
12

Well -it's begun
Well digger came yesterday: had been a week since we contracted but with permits and work schedules and need for Miss Utility to mark ground. Fortunately old well with stuck new pump is working well...

OT: State of the Union Address
Cynics say he timed it so most people would have went to bed before the Democrats started their rebuttals :)
2
2

A friend faces n'hood leaks
We went through that a few years ago. When the water lines were run high quality plastic that was supposed to last forever was used. It didn't and most had to be replaced. The manufacturer, of course,...
4
4

OT Man Found Eaten by Bear Died First From Meth Overdose
<>"A 30-year-old man who was found eaten by a bear in September 2018 died first from a methamphetamine overdose, an autopsy revealed." Why kill the Bear? A 30-year-old man who was found eaten by a...

OT Trail runner attacked by mountain lion in Larimer County kills the animal in self defense
<>"...He was able to fight off the big cat, killing it in the process. The man hiked to safety and was able to get to a local hospital on his own, officials said. On Monday evening the victim was...
2
2

Furnace filters
Why would anyone in a typical house replace a filter every 30 days? Once a season, tops for me. I frequently go a couple seasons because they are not dirty. If you live in a house with a bunch of pets...
46
46