Subject Author Posted Replies

clock on gas range
We have a Tappan gas range with self cleaning oven which works on a timed cycle. Having a wall clock, a clock on the microwave, clock on the coffee pot, and wrist watches, we don't pay a lot of...
7
7

Termite protection for through-slab plumbing
Does anybody know of a good source for those ring type termite barriers I have seen on TV? Perhaps not the nationally advertised(read expensive) devices but a comparable product. I have heard that the...
1
1

Kool Seal replacement?
I can't find any Kool Seal paint for my mobile home roof. No one will even special order it for me in my small SW city, including Lowes. True Value hardware, who used to carry it, told me to use...
10
10

Aerator Plant Upflow Filter
I have a 1200 gallon wastewater aerator plant, with an attached gravel upflow filter. I have the tank pumped out every 3 or 4 years, and at the same time, have the gravel filter backwashed. I would...

cell phone
Do cell phone batteries just die suddenly or do they usualy loose loose the ability to hold a charge, mine is 1.5 yrs old but today the phone is dead, it has been holding a charge
13
13

Downspout Installation ?
I am having a re-roof done including new gutters and downspouts. The gutter guy came out yesterday and installed the gutters and downspouts. Some of the downspouts are not perpendicular. If I measure...
7
7

Cost of Toilet
A plumber quoted me a price of $550 for a new toilet to be installed. Does this sound reasonable? Thank you.
20
20

Circuit Breaker Too Hot?
I have a 30amp 240 volt circuit breaker for the heater in a hot tub. With the circuit breaker off, the case temperature is 83 deg F (the ambient temperature) measured with an IR temperature sensor. I...
5
5

Broken light switch
I recently moved into an older house. There is a light switch by the front door that doesn't seem to do anything. All the light fixtures inside and outside have good bulbs in them and switch on...
12
12

Shower Faucet Shutoff Valves
Hey all, I just replaced the faucet in my tub/shower with a new unit with a single handle. It has 2 screws in the body of the faucet that can be used to shut off the hot and cold water to the center...

Lamp far from socket plug
I have chairs and table in the middle of my living room. I want to put a lamp on the table, but dont want a wire running across the carpet to the nearest socket (and don't want to tear up the...
22
22

Alternative to flapper in toilet tank?
I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few months they seem to distort and start...
20
20

Drywall question
I have seen drywall installers run a small tool over edges that they have cut. Is this to create a bevel? What is the tool, it appears to look like a small plane?
5
5

Insulating blinds
Hi all: We just recently got our windows replaced in our house, and consequently, our old blinds and such no longer fit. We had crappy cheapo miniblinds anyhow, ready for a change. But I'm shocked...
5
5

generac portable generators
pb ------------------------------------- These Generac portables look great in the store or in ads. Great prices to purchase, but they don't last. Costs more to repair than to replace. I believe...