Subject Author Posted Replies

Suggestions for working on Roof - fixing issues
I had an inspection completed on a house I am planning on buying 2001 new roof was done - not 100% correct There is slight mold forming near the ends of the house. The problems The ridge vent has...
17
17

Code question on generator grounding
I will be installing a standby generator located about 50 ft. from the grounding rod for my house. If I ground the generator only in main panel, then there is a possibility that the generator frame...
30
30

Roof vent problem:
Hi folks. I have an problem with my roof vents in the winter, the roof is low pitch about 4-12 the snow builds up and air from attic causes the snow to melt creating ice dams at every vent , this can...
3
3

Question about garage door size...
I have an existing garage door on a small one car garage that I use more for storage than anything else. It's an old garage with a wooden door on it currently. Question is, I measured the size of...
5
5

Making Cardboard Waterproof?
Hello, I have a design made out of cardboard that I will be keeping outside in the elements. I need it to be able to hold rain water inside it, so I'm wondering if there is any way to water proof...
18
18

stuck washer on toilet
The plastic washer on the outside bottom of the tank for the flapper unit is stuck or glued on.. How do get if off ?
7
7

Gas Range Help
Does anyone know where I can find a manual for a Roper gas range, model# F8957WD, Serial# 7X64378? Does anyone know how old this unit is?
5
5

Electric water heater thermostat.
Hi, In need of replacement Apcom thermostats(upper ad lower). Any good on-line source? TIA,
1
1

Working with Galvanized Metal
Hello, I'm working with some galvanized metal ( the stuff that you use to take the smoke from a wood-burning fireplace out through the roof of a house) that I'm bending into a box... about 16"...
6
6

Stuck flapper washer
I am replaceing the flapper kit on the toilet, the plastic washer on the bottom of the tank is stuck... How can I get it off with out breaking it ?
3
3

Inserting a tee in a 1/2" water line
Hi, When cutting into a 1/2" water line to install a tee, what length should one cut out? I took my measurements and it seems like about an inch, but I decided to ask anyway. The pipe I'm cutting...
4
4

Dog eating house
We're in the process of having the exterior of this old place redone. I'd hired a painter, who needed a carpenter to replace 'a few rotten corner boards'. Well, this has led to a major...
26
26

Removing paint from "antique'd" door hardware
Can anyone suggest a good method to remove paint (could be oil based) from the "antigue'd brass" hardware of a door lock, without messing up the origional finish?
3
3

installing connectors on RG-6?
Hi, since it's not possible to work outside today (thanks Hanna!) I gathered up all the cable stuff I'd gathered in preparation to install a cable outlet in the living room. Before I got...
18
18

A new roof: Some questions
Our family's little vacation cottage needs a new roof. I got four estimates, ranging from $3200 to $10,000 for a 1400 square foot roof. There are two layers to be stripped off. My questions: All...
13
13