Subject Author Posted Replies

solar heater
anyone recently purchased a solar water heating unit ( i live in Phoenix) with advice to someone else considering the same move? thx bob

Question about a loud fridge
My fridge is in an open kitchen and the noise from the freezer section is all over my home. I hung blankets over it but it does not help. I can shut off the freezer section and the noise is gone but...
2
2

Painting ceiling in front of oven
I've got some ceiling paint that started peeling in front of the oven (which vents into the kitchen -- just a simple household range) not much more than 5 years after being painted last. Not sure...
1
1

Mold problem
Right, I live in North Texas (DFW area) in a house that was built in 1983. Today my wife noticed some black spots on a kitchen cabinet shelf. Upon further investigation, the deepest, most unreachable...
7
7

Tile Over UnEvEn Kitchen Floor????????????????
We're about to start tiling a kitchen floor over stripped bare concrete slab. We're going to be using 18" X 18" tile and we've started noticing that the floor has quite a few uneven spots...
10
10

A Safe Bet?
I can't find the circuit breakers for any of the upstair bedrooms in this old, 1908 built house. Would it be reasonably safe to replace a light switch wearing rubber gloves and rubber-soled shoes...
12
12

What is the typical underlayment for hardwood flooring?
I will be installing some pre-finished hardwood floors on the second story bedrooms. This will replace the existing carpet. I was looking at the thicker solid type prefinished. Is it just a type of...
5
5

New boiler question
My house, built in 1956, needs a new heating system boiler. It's as old as the house. I've seen some models that have domestic hot water (DHW) capability - are these worth getting? It seems to...
5
5

Backsplash or Tile, That is THE Question????????????
We're about to purchase a granite countertop for our new cabinets, and we are bouncing back and forth on the issue of a backsplash. We can buy matching granite for the backsplash and tile between...
3
3

Electrical Outlet Question
My wife plugged an extension cord with two items (a lamp and an alarm clock) into an available slot on a surge protector, which is then plugged into an outlet. The surge protector already had three...
6
6

Forget about your home repairs...
And get the hell out of dodge. Beam me up Scotty! Doom-mongers have claimed a daring and expensive scientific experiment due to take place next week could end up destroying the entire cosmos.

Adding whole house fan
We were thinking of adding a whole house fan to our two story house. is this something that is normally DIY? Assuming I can run the power myself. Is there a typical installation location? Can this be...
5
5

Suggestions for working on Roof - fixing issues
I had an inspection completed on a house I am planning on buying 2001 new roof was done - not 100% correct There is slight mold forming near the ends of the house. The problems The ridge vent has...
17
17

Code question on generator grounding
I will be installing a standby generator located about 50 ft. from the grounding rod for my house. If I ground the generator only in main panel, then there is a possibility that the generator frame...
30
30

Roof vent problem:
Hi folks. I have an problem with my roof vents in the winter, the roof is low pitch about 4-12 the snow builds up and air from attic causes the snow to melt creating ice dams at every vent , this can...
3
3