Subject Author Posted Replies

Sweating on small fittings
Hi, I'm practicing sweating 1/2" copper pipes, but I find that when sweating on small fittings, such as a coupling or an elbow, I melt the solder in the first joint when working on the second...
10
10

Computer power supply uses (NOT home repair topic)
In the days of old, I used to use a mobile CB, which sat on a (designed for it) power supply. The CB was 12 volts DC, and the power supply rectified the house power, to provide DC for the two way...
21
21

Pex plumbing
Hello again, I am continuing to gather info for the new house,this time concerning plumbing. I had been thinking about the Manablock system,basically a plastic(PVC) manifold known as a "home run"...
7
7

OT: Ike
It looks like Ike's center is over 250 mi. away, but he is pushing the water a long way. High tide not due here for a couple of more hours, but the water is at the top of our seawall. No wind to...
14
14

Wiring for a well house
I am re-wiring my well house. The previous owner had run 12/2 wire (no ground wire) from a 100 amp breaker on the service panel to a 30 amp breaker in the yard on a metal stake, then on to the pump...
9
9

HOA: "Tear down that house"
"[SANFORD, Fla.] A Sanford man whose wife and son were killed when an airplane crashed into their home may have to tear down his rebuilt house because a homeowners' association said he is breaking...
64
64

Sump pump Question - No more water?
Okay, bear with me on this one..... We had a home built in 2000. The builder installed a sump pump. It used to run constantly. It failed twice (pipe came loose) and we got a little water in the...
7
7

Oxalic acid?
I have some dark water stains on my hardwood oak flooring that I would want to remove. I read here that oxalic acid is a good way to approach this. The problem is I cannot find any. At Home Depot they...
15
15

Flooding
Hi, I am Suzanna and my main problem is flooding, my husband and I wanted to renovate our house and mainly the flood we wanted to have wooden floor but we need first to stop that flooding problem it...
2
2

Another Flooring Question
I am still contemplating installing laminate wood in my kitchen. While looking at samples today, I also saw laminate ceramic tile. Has anyone installed the ceramic tile, and do you like it? I am going...

recipe to restore VOCs?
I've used a brand-name semi-trans oil stain on my redwood deck every 2 years. I'm in a semi-arid climate with not much rain, lots of sun, and cold winters. Mildew and UV damage finally showed...
10
10

Is it possible to wear through a garbage disposer housing?
Hi all: I opened the cabinet under the kitchen sink to get out the dishwashing detergent and there was a puddle of water under there. After 15 minutes of poking around, I have come to the conclusion...
7
7

Basement hot water tank (electric) heat loss; yes again!
Just to stoke up the discussion about heat loss from an electric (or gas) hot water tank/heater, versus those instant-on type, herewith some current numbers. Left the house at around 2.00 PM Thursday...
4
4

Basement Breaker Trips
This has happened for the second time in last One week . Both these days we had rain and both these adys we went to basement and did some work (usually we donot frequent basement). The breaker that...
4
4

Hardwood flooring installation - 15# felt vs red rosin paper
I've used rosin paper as underlayment on many floors. What I'd been told was that it acted as a moisture retarder rather than a moisture or vapor barrier. Recently, I was told that termites...
4
4