Subject Author Posted Replies

Local Plumbers HELP!!
Hi, I just moved to the area last Tuesday (Bellevue) and was lucky to be met a day later with a blocked toilet that is clogged farther down than a plunge or snake can fix. Yay, what fun! Anyhoo, I was...
5
5

Why drive off wooden windowills?
I had the wood-framed windows on the West side redone recently by a professional painter. They were in terrible shape from years of neglect and hot sun. I had prepped some of the sills by sanding a...
7
7

Sink Materials
We have been bouncing all over the place so I'm posing the question to the public, what's the best sink material for a kitchen sink? We have looked at stainless steel with sound deadening and...
12
12

14 and 12 gauge wiring problem
I know that you cannot use 14 gauge wire in a 20amp circuit because 14 gauge can only handle 15 amps, but I ran into a problem with my bathroom remodel. I have a huge mirror on one wall that also has...
26
26

Weatherproofing wood with paint?
I need to make a lid for my Cistern. I plan on using some 2x4s and perhaps 3/4" plywood. I am wondering if I paint this, will it take on any measure of weatherproofness? If not, how do i make wood...
13
13

Question on wiring a 240 volt Sauna Heater?
O.K. Heres my problem. Previously, I had a 240 volt hot tub with a 50 amp Double pole GFCI. Recently replaced hottub with a 240v sauna. Now, according to the wiring schematic. I need one 240v line...
11
11

Painting Speaker Grilles
I have some in ceiling speakers. The grilles have Verry Small holes in them for the sound to come through. How can i paint them to match the ceiling without the paint getting into the holes ?
2
2

Furnace/Dryer/Hot Water Tank Space Requirements
Currently, my hot water heater is located literally in the middle of my basement which obviously is very inconvenient. I am considering moving it to a location that is currently between by gas furnace...
6
6

Painting the Transition Between Drywall and Plaster
After extensive plaster ceiling repairs, where my ceiling meets the walls, there is a transition between plaster (ceilings) and drywall (walls) about one foot down on the walls. After painting with...
8
8

Shower hi-hat light install problem
I am updating my bathroom and I would like to put a hi-hat can in my shower. The problem is that there is a 2X4 joist running in the middle of where I want to put the hi-hat in the center. Here are...
9
9

more on paint/stain VOCs
This follows up a previous thread, "Recipe to restore VOCs?", in which I asked about improving the performance (water repellency, longevity) of the new low-VOC oil-based deck stains. I didn't get...
10
10

'Dishwasher' drain plumbing
I want to drain a small pump through an existing sink drain in the basement. There is a stubout for an extra sink that was not built. The pump is rated at 800 gph, but I doubt that it is anywhere near...
1
1

Need small pump
I have a problem with a basement leak that only occurs during extremely bad rainstorms. This occurs once every couple of years. Until the problem is solved I need a small quiet water pump that I can...
2
2

Minimum distance between ceiling register vent and bath fan?
I am re-modeling my bathroom (4X6) and want to put in a bath fan. I wanted to put it in the center, but there is a supply register in the same joist bay, which means they will be right next to each...
2
2

Siphoning gas out of a Chevy Lumina?
Apologies for the off-topic. I have a full tank in my Lumina and need fuel for the generator but gas is hard to get after Ike. Does anybody know an easy way to get that gas out of the car? Nothing too...
22
22