Subject Author Posted Replies

Fluorescent Lights and 130V
A building I'm working at has some brick lights - j-boxes recessed into a wall, and a cover plate on them - that illuminate walkways. The owners have changed the incandescent bulbs to fluorescent....
8
8

Toilet offset
I am building a new bathroom and was wondering if there is a standard offset from the wall for the toilet drain? Also any other tips or hints for the plumbing of the waste line would be greatly...
12
12

Do remote controls talk to each other?
I have come across a strange problem. I have a house that has an entertainment center that operates on a remote. It's been there for years and works great. Two months ago I had a new wall unit a/c...
23
23

primer problem!
Hello.. I am priming newly patched/repaired plaster walls with PVA primer. The walls were never painted before- covered w/wallpaper. I accidently rubbed up an area in a tight spot and a smudge...
4
4

Gas engine or electric motor for bicycles
Anyone have any experience with these. I did many internet searches on the subject, but what I'm looking for is personal experience, i.e. electric vs. gas, 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle, etc.. The new area...
7
7

Advice needed on shower gray water system in Los Angeles
Hello, There may be a "green" board that covers this but this group seems to know everything. Several years ago when a wall was open I segregated off a shower drain for garden use-- now working on the...
3
3

Insulating Crawl Space (formerly garage)
Converting garage into family room. Framer starts today, so I can move past the framing questions, and onto insulation. I asked an insulation question before, but my design changed today, so asking...

Hardwater accumulations in dishwasher beyond repair?
I had posted earlier about a dishwasher that was leaving cloudy residue in everything. Plus it was not cleaning properly either. The excellent replies said to clean it out with vinegar. So I tried...
17
17

Question on Craftsman Garden Tractor
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor, 24 hp, 48" deck, that is almost 3 yrs old (in a few days). It has never had a problem until a couple of days ago, and I maintain it each offseason (change oil, oil...
7
7

cheap tub fixtures
I recently had about $4000 in damage done to my house because of the cheap pot metal fill spout on my tub. A hole was eaten in the back of it due to various chemicals in the water and every time the...

Possible to Mix Composite Decking Material w/Pressure Treated Wood?
We have pressure treated wood stairs leading up to our front door from the street level. At some point someone decided to paint that material, and EVERY year, I have to repaint, because the paint...
6
6

Kitchen Cabinet Crown Molding
I am installing crown molding on my kitchen cabinets. The problem is that there is one cabinet that is 6" higher then the rest but they are all the same depth of 12". How to I finish the end of the...
4
4

For Tile - How Level is "Level"?????????
I have ripped up the vinyl tile in my kitchen, cleaned to the bare concrete, set and installed base cabinets and just about ready to tile. As I have been inspecting the floor I have found the floor...
7
7

Garden Tractor clutch kills engine
Don't know that one particularly (you should be able to finds a parts diagram online somewhere I'd think), but there's a couple of ways. Either there's a centrifigul relay or one on the generator coil...
2
2

Dect 6.0 cordless phones with "do not disturb" feature
I recently came across a GE Dect 6.0 cordless phone with a "do not disturb" option - there is a button on the based which toggles the ringer off/on for all handsets. Unfortunately this particular...
7
7