Subject Author Posted Replies

Electric baseboard and T-stat wiring
I want to install a 240 baseboard at my vacation home. I was going to put in a simple T-stat mounted on the baseboard. If I decide in the future to put in a T-stat on the wall, can I run a 12/2 from...
2
2

Time for new roof.
Hi, Narrowed down to two choices. Concrete tile vs. metal roof looking like tile. Unit cost is about same, rated life expectancy too. Probably my last roofing job. My climate is cold in winter with...
4
4

water proofing a custom shower pan.
Folks, Everything that I've read about building a custom shower pan for tiling tells me that I need to do the following: a.) slope the first layer of mud 1/4 inch for each foot the edge of the...
2
2

Hardwood floors 101
Hi, Do new hardwood floor materials come polyurethaned or is that step required post installation? Also, Is sanding required post installation? Thanks, Aaron
5
5

Balancing fan blades
I have a fairly old ceiling fan (came with the house) that wobbles like crazy at high speed. Anyone know of a good web site where I can see how to balance it? Lou
9
9

Chandelier advice...
Hello, =A0I am thinking of buying a chandelier for my dining room and have found my 'dream' chandelier at an auction in Virginia (far away). =A0However, this chandelier happens to be a bit...
10
10

Toilet Valve Repair
American Standard toilet flush valve. I have a new plunger valve (the valve that regulates the flow of water into the tank.) It came with a new seat that installs with an allen wrench but I can't...
4
4

How Common Was This?
I have a house built in the early 1920's. Every wall in every room was wallpapered with the paper applied over the bare plaster, multiple layers no less. No paint, no primer just plaster. It was a...
9
9

I Am Reduced to Buying My Lumbar from the Big Box Stores
Does anybody know whether/if/which Lowes or Home Depot usually has better lumber?
9
9

New roof
I'm trying to put together a budget for a new a/c and roof for my house. The house: 1700 sq ft, Central texas, 1 story, regular shingle pitched roof. Currently two layers of shingles. With the...
25
25

Residual caulk
I installed a new Vinyl double hung window. After i caulked around the window,the next day i noticed residual caulking smeared past the caulk joint. I tried to clean it off with a Razor scraper,but...
7
7

Radon mitigation, electric costs and green living
The Wife and I have a contract on a house where the inspection just showed a radon gas level of 13.1 picocuries/liter. Mind you, that's in a house that has been unoccupied for a few months after a...
2
2

Rubbermaid 3713 shed
This shed can blow over. If it does, Rubbermaid will not help you. They do not warranty the shed READ THE FINE PRINT. Mine is damaged, the gable pieces cost $47 each to replace. Any ideas to help put...
7
7

Dishwasher still leaving haze even without using any soap
Last week I posted pictures of my dishwasher that was leaving a cloudy haze on the glass. The very helpful suggestions were to try it with less soap as it might be soap buildup. So I ran it with just...
19
19

How can you tell if your walls are plaster or sheetrock-drywall?
I have never lived in a house with plaster walls. A friend asked me how you tell if your walls are plaster or drywall. How do you tell?
17
17