Subject Author Posted Replies

silvery patches on chimney?
Some bricks on my chimeny are covered with silvery patches. Under each silvery patch is a black layer. Any idea what these are? They seem to be wearing off. The house is 15 years old but I bought it...
2
2

Generac Generator EXL5500 start problems
I have been using this electric start generator for about 2 years on and off, typically once a month. Last time I tried to start it it sounded like the battery was close to dead, but it was not. It...
36
36

Several "how to insulate" questions.
Hi, Here's my insulation project and there are several instances where I am not sure what the best way to insulate is. The wall that you are seeing has stucco on the other side. (I'm in...
3
3

Chimney cap replacement help?
Hi All, I would like to replace my chimney cap but I am not sure how to remove the current cap. It does not appear to be attached with screws, bolts or rivets. Are some caps attached without hardware?...
3
3

Bubble wrap for insulation
How would bubble wrap work for insulation between a window and a storm window or between a window and a screen? It would still allow light to get through and it's not too expensive. ---MIKE--- >>...
12
12

How many wheelbarrows of concrete?
-snip- -snip- First I'd be absolutely sure it can't come right off the truck. Is the grade on your side? How many chutes does the truck bring? Can you supply extra chutes? Can they pump from the truck...
6
6

Electric tankless water heaters
As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric, tankless water heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single faucet and a diswahser. I would apprecaite reccomendations as to which...
28
28

What's the best insulation to use with 2x4's?
Hi, My contractor told me to use R13 insulation on the walls framed out by 2x4's. He said that it won't fit thinkness-wise, but I would be able to compress it with drywall. Does that sound...
21
21

Ordering concrete for delivery
Hi, I finished my small concrete project today and next is to backfill the holes in the slabI have opened up in four bathrooms for the plumbing relocation. I have done the soil backfill, compaction,...
13
13

A sticky problem
Leaving the glue equals doing a poor job. You need something like this: the wood is or gets damaged you may want to fill the holes and the cracks and smooth the surface before tiling . PS: Why the...
2
2

How to drill a 3/4" hole in metal?
I need to make (drill?) several 3/4" holes in 1/4" thick aluminum panels. I have a 3/8" drill, a 1/2" drill bit, a 4" angle grinder, and hand files. It's a tedious job to drill a 1/2" hole and...
39
39

Chimney cap
What is the proper method for capping a wooden framed chimney. It is a wooden structure with a flat top, Vinyl sided, with the triple wall pipe running up through the center. I need to know what the...
2
2

Looking for ways to reduce the Cooling Load of a black shingled roof in Florida
Im moving to Florida, and, bought a Mobile Home which of course has no attic. It has a southern exposure with no shade and im wondering what options are available to reduce the Cooling Load on the...
8
8

Oven duct problme
I have noticed that there is some grease dripping out from the duct connected to my oven onto the basement floor where subceiling has not been installed. The grease is leaking in a section of the duct...
7
7

Help!!
I need to remodel a bathroom to accomodate my wheelchair and received this from a designer. He's been doing thois work for twenty years. This is the unformatted version. My apologies if the format...
3
3