Subject Author Posted Replies

New Door, adjustable sill problem
I just put in a new door for our entryway. The old door was all wood, weighed about 3,000 lbs and was just drafty, it was time for a new one. So after all was said and done I put the new door in....
3
3

Installing Recess lighting - what to do with plastic tabs?
Folks, I'm upgrading my current recess lighting to air-tight IC fixtures (Halo). In the wiring compartment, the normal wires exist, but they have plastic "tabs" at the end of wires. These "tabs"...
2
2

Bed-sheet sizes
I gotta old "full" bed/mattress circa maybe 1970. Ancient "full" fitted sheet fits well but it's pretty much worn out. Last year I go to JC Penny, get a nice "full" 250 thread count sheet set, and...
18
18

Recommend a strong glue for fixing a broken metal lamp?
Hi Everyone, We have a ornamental lamp, much like the old british street lamps much like the one at: are using it indoors, and it tipped over, with two of the three frames surrounding the lights...
4
4

Wood Stove Repair
Hi...just purchased a fairly old cast iron wood stove. Some of the "cement" in the corners is worn away or cracked, therefore breaking the air tight seal. What type of cement or caulking is used for...
1
1

Check Your Furnaces
Here's another reason to perform regular maintenance on your furnace even if it's running fine... My 3 YO furnace seemed to be cycling on and off when it first fired up, so I suspected a dirty...
10
10

CertaPro Painters
I'm Thinking about getting these people to do some painting in my home. Just wondering what people in this group think of them. TIA, EJ in NJ

Hot on Left, Cold on Right?
I'm installing a laundry outlet box. Does the rule "Hot on Left, Cold on Right" apply to a washing machine supply? I know this is a plumbing rule, but does this rule strictly apply to laundry? It...
25
25

Replacing Interior Door Doorknob Question
Over ten years ago I pretty much replaced all the doorknobs in our house as the old ones were corroded or scuzzy looking. Our house is over 50 years old and the hole in each door was sort of just a...
3
3

Alternative to spray foam for filling gaps?
Is there a weatherstripping type product I can push into the gap at the bottom of a wall to prevent drafts? I'm looking to avoid spray foam because it's a finished area with carpet that would...
6
6

water comes out of bathtub drain when sink used???
Here's a strange one. When I use the sink in my guest bathroom, water comes out of the bathtub drain in the room. Then it just sits there and takes forever to drain. What's going on? Can...
8
8

20 amp double breaker powering washing machine and kitchen 120v outlets
I have a 2 pole 20 amp breaker that I though went straight to my washing machine in the garage, but upon tripping it I see my fridge and a couple 20 amp 120v outlets in the kitchen go out too. I am...
17
17

Kitchen light lenses
I need to install some new kitchen light lenses. I believe that's what they are called. These appear to be made of plastic tho I'm not 100% sure. If I need to cut them, what is the best tool...
5
5

Anlu pressure washer gun question
Hi, I have a cheap Anlu pressure washer which had the inlet fitting on the gun break after about 2 hours of use. Well, I was able to get a replacement fitting, but somehow when I took the gun apart,...
1
1

Help with insulation choice.
Hi, I have received five estimates for inslulating my kitchen (whose walls are currently open) ranging from $840 (cellulose upon completing the walls) to $2500 (high density, closed cell foam). The...
14
14