Subject Author Posted Replies

Removing mirrors glued to drywall - possible without smashing?
My spouse is replacing Formica countertops with granite on four vanities. Each has a mirror that was set onto the Formica top, glue applied to the back, then pushed to the wall. The new tops will be...
8
8

Ask this old house last night
Did you see that? How to replace a deep well water pump. I feel I could do it myself now.
5
5

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving to a very informative and very educational group of people ! Smarty
5
5

T-stat repair
White-Rodgers 1F90-51/-60 thermostat from 1985. Mea Culpa: I left 3 Duracell AA batteries in the unit for years and years. Corroded the little spade connectors so bad that 2 broke off. I jerry-rigged...
9
9

water line to refrigerator
Two of my tennants are receiving new refrigerators for Christmas. I'm struggling with what kind of line to run on one of the houses (the other is not a problem) due to the possibility of freezing...
2
2

Another plumbing issue ... broken drain pipe from sink to line in basement
I posted earlier about the issue with getting a new toilet installed. That's taken care of ... but there's now another plumbing problem that my plumber and I are facing. Our house, as you...
7
7

Wiring Simplified
I guess it's not simplified enough for me. Would someone please read "Testing for Continuity" on page 127 of the 42nd Edition of "Wiring Simplified" and tell me if that's correct. I'm not...
7
7

Arc welding question
Hello, I'm wondering how thick of steel, oh say 1ft x 1ft, sheet metal a 110Amp arc welder can weld? As example, lets say I wanted to make a steel box. They have one at homedept AWELD110 Thanks my...
34
34

uneven garage floor
So, I've seen this problem posted a few places but have yet to find an easy and inexpensive stop-gap solution. I have a 2-car garage. My garage floor is just a concrete slab (no drain). In theory,...
15
15

Home Decorators Collection
I was looking at some bathroom vanities from this catalog. The prices seem very reasonable - too reasonable, I guess. I am aware that this is not high end stuff, but I was wondering how it might...
1
1

Water pressure advice needed
Here is my situation: Upstairs in my two story house early this morning, I opened a sink faucet tap. There was no water stream...just spitting and coughing. The downstairs water worked when I tried...
9
9

screws or nails for osb sheathing
hi folks, in a follow up to my shed building woes... i'm building a 10x15 shed outside. 2x4 walls, 16in on center... ready to start sheathing (osb, was planning on doing 1/2in) do i nail or screw...
7
7

Dirty grout in shower
It keeps getting dirty. Bathroom only has a vent fan. Stuff to clean both dirt and some mold? Saw a guy in Costco selling a kit for $50 that he claims cleans anything. Did not buy, but may since...
7
7

Squirrel in attic - fail
"The unidentified man used a leaf blower to try to blow cayenne pepper through the kitchen exhaust fan and into his attic...Damage to the home is being estimated at as much as [$70,000]."
1
1

Storm window??
I have a sun garden window that sticks out beyond our house. It is above our kitchen sink. On cold days it is so cold there. Is there any thing I can buy that I can cover the outside of the window for...
3
3