Subject Author Posted Replies

Partial power failure
A customer called with an intermittent electrical problem: The electric range and refrigerator on occasion stop working, then start working for no apparent reason. It's obvious that one of the hot...
11
11

6-Pack 6-LED Aluminum Flashlights - Any good?
I just bought this 6 pack of Husky LED flashlights at HD. There's 6 LED's per flashlight, and each one uses 3 AAA batteries, which were included. 6 flashlights and 18 batteries for $9.97. How...
30
30

Possible bad ground wire, please help
I just recently moved into a house that had all the electrical service updated. At first things seemed to work, lately this has changed. I am getting small shocks more than i ever did, its stronger...
21
21

Portable Electric Heaters
Any recommendations on portable electric heaters? Like something that can heat a 500 sq ft work room. Cheers, Steven
11
11

CFL lifespan
I've been using CFLs for several years now, and I've found that they have about the same lifespan as an incandescent bulb, despite claims to the contrary. Seven year warranty? Whatta joke. I...
15
15

Direct Drive vs Belt Drive for New Washer
Any opinions on which is better for a new washing machine, belt-drive or direct-drive? In a recent thread we were discussing my old Kenmore direct-drive washer and how to fix it. I determined it needs...
20
20

CFLs with warm tone?
I have been replacing incandescent bulbs with CFLs as they burn out. Just wondering if anyone has a particular recommendation for a CFL with a nice warm tone. I am aware of the color temperature...
7
7

Vinyl Siding Corner Piece Came Off
While roof-raking some of the snow we got last night, the rake got caught on a corner piece of my vinyl siding and pulled it off. I'm wondering two things: First, I haven't been up on the roof...
3
3

grohe faucet
I made terrible blunder when I bought a Grohe faucet. Help is toll called and they are very slow to respond. I have been kept on wait for as long as 20 minutes several times this AM. I installed a...

Best soil to use for sprinkler values?
I just dug up a bunch of clay soil/rock to get to all of the sprinkler value piping underneath the anti siphon values and it took way too long and tiring. Any recommendations on what type of soil I...
8
8

1500-1700 lumens CFL with mini/candelabra/B10 base?
I just installed a beautiful new Hunter ceiling fan in the master bedroom, and discovered the only light bulb it takes is the kind with the B10 or "candelabra" base, and no more than 40 watts per...
5
5

paint sloughing in bathroom
Just bought a foreclosure house, and came to learn that Fannie Mae hired some drunken chimpanzees to repaint the house before they put it on the market (my apologies to drunken chimps for insulting...
7
7

OT but current! Auto executives to Washington, again.
Item, somewhat tongue in cheek, on radio here. Executives of the big three auto companies are going to Washington again this week to lobby the government for a bail (hand?) out. In view of the bad...
12
12

Sprinkler box?
I have a set of 5 control values above ground with each zone's pipe about 1 1/2 feet under the ground. Due to a leak, I just dug up all of the dirt in between the pipes and replaced all of it. So,...
1
1

Is it possible to pass a 2" PVC drain pipe under the slab?
I cut opened a 4" wide trench about 8' long to pass a 1/2" PVC pipe from the wall to a kitchen island. Just as I was about to close off the trench my wife asked if it's possible to have a sink...
11
11