Subject Author Posted Replies

paint on a vinyl window?
will any type of painting process hold on the interior side of a vinyl window frame? thanks, bill
12
12

Hardiebacker question
Greetings All, I am using Hardiebacker as the underlayment foe some slate tile. The Hardiebacker is will be installed over 3/4 T & G ply. What is the proper material to bond the backer board to the...
7
7

Door deadlatch sticks open
I have an exterior door with a keyhole-in-knob deadlatch. With the recent cold weather, the latch started sticking open when it gets pushed in while closing the door, so the door doesn't latch...
2
2

water based floor finish
Hi - I'm considering using a water-based polyurethane to finish a newly installed wide pine floor... Mostly to avoid the odor (etc) from the oil based product. Does anyone have experience with the...
5
5

Waxless toilet ring
I changed from wax to waxless rings some time ago. Today I found the toilet was leaking again around the base. I've pulled it apart and find that the gooey seal they use to adhere the ring to the...
4
4

Source of 60hz-ish electrical hum?
While trying to connect wireless speakers for the Xmas season I noticed that on the receiver end I get a distinct hmmmmmmmm. I tried different plugs and turned off all the fluorescent lights I could...
6
6

Vinyl flooring seams
Several years ago, I had woodtone vinyl flooring installed by Lowe's. A couple of months later, all the seams were opening up. They came back, injected mastic under the seams, and rolled them...
11
11

Three electrical code questions
Hi, 1. Is it permissible to install outlets in the same bay that also has heating system pipes? 2. Is it permissble to fasten two cables to a stud with a single staple? 3. I have a cinterblock wall...
9
9

Basement drains in older house - where do they go?
I have 2 basement drains in my house. It looks like at one time a washer and dyer was down there. They do not appear to be hooked to my septic tank. Where would these go? I am thinking of adding a 1/2...
33
33

Sony CCD CCTV Security Cameras & EverFocus DVR Installation
I helped a friend install a very cheap CCTV & DVR system a few weeks ago at a small shopping plaza. We spent about $180 on the most inexpensive "Made In China" CMOS cameras and an $8 PCI DVR capture...

Water in garage from cars/snow and no drain.
My garage was built in 1942. It never had a floor drain in it. Is there a standard way to add a drain?
6
6

Suggestions on heater for detached well insulated garage.
I have a 2-1/2 car garage I would like to heat. I garage already has a NG line and a chimney. Any suggestions on brand and type of heater?
7
7

mortgage question
Please forgive this slightly off topic post, but since all of you are homeowners, maybe you have some thoughts on this. I am going to refinance in the near future, and I have a GFE with an origination...
9
9

Another use for a chainsaw
As a bayonet. If your AR-15 is not scary-looking enough, you can get this snap-on attachment. mask optional. Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade...
7
7