Subject Author Posted Replies

wire sizes
What size wire and how many conductors do I need to wire up telephones, thermostats, & doorbells in the house that I am building?
18
18

ARGON vs VACUUM in double pane windows
i was under the impression that all (vinyl) double pane windows were constructed using a gas such as argon between the panes. i need to replace all of my old aluminum double pane windows, about half...
16
16

Nail gun for outside use?
I need to replace some of my house outside paneling that is cedar (1'x9 1/4"x various lengths). I was thinking of using wood screws because some of the new boards are cupped and the screws will...
17
17

Amer Std commode bowl doesn't fill
This is a Cadet model which, for those not familiar, will empty the bowl of something like 26 golf balls. It has been in use for two years and yesterday the tank fill valve stopped allowing any water...
4
4

OT TV sound volume for commercials
The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. I now have a new TV with Stereo sound. The change in volume is much greater. The difference is head splitting sometimes. If there is, in fact, a law...
14
14

Is it time to replace the water heater?
About 1 out of every 4 or 5 showers is lukewarm at best. When I get hot showers they are fine (temp + time). I have tried to pay attention to weather temperatures to determine if it might be a factor....
29
29

Small drainage problem
Greetings, I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest US, built in '54, poured-concrete foundation. Densely populated urban area. When we get a hard rain with the wind from the north, I...
3
3

Handy tool
To support a disposal during installation. More of an idea, really been using a bottle-jack to hold up the disposal, but the method's the same. http://www.skybelleenterprises.com/
5
5

Cutting concrete floor?
I've heard that hitting rebar with a diamond blade can quickly ruin it -- so what do the experts do?
9
9

Kenmore Washing Machine Water Overflow Problem.
My Kenmore washing machine is about 10 years old. Recently, I replaced the transmission coupling as it will not spin dry. After replaced the coupling for a few washes, the machine overflow and will...
3
3

Tamper-resistant sheet metal screws (Pin type)
McMaster-Carr, MSC, and Grainger industrial supply houses have sheet metal screws that go by the name of "pin-in-hex", "pin-in-torx", "tamperproof", or just plain "security sheet metal screws"...
24
24

Shooting a machine gun in Las Vegas
See the store, if you visit here [?]
5
5

Finish Nail Gun?
Anyone have the 15 gauge Harbor Freight gun? Or other recommendations? Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and...
25
25

Water Neutralizers Cost
The plumbers have told my grandmother that she needs a self- cleaning water neutralizer. I really have no doubt of this as she has had serious copper corrosion issues, and the plumbers have had her...
8
8