Subject Author Posted Replies

Hardie Plank Questions (and Answers???)
Our 25 year old Florida block home has stucco on the rear of the house, and on both sides below the gables. The top above the gables is grooved wood paneling. The front is natural stone and also...
3
3

can i build a block retaining wall on top of a concrete slab?
I've searched around a bit, but couldn't find an answer to this one. My back yard is essentially a concrete jungle with a pool in the middle and it sorely needs some greenery. I have a large...
12
12

How to remove a tile without breaking it.
I have three porcelain tiles that have that hollow sound when you walk on them or tap them with a tool. Obviously the thinset was either put on too thin or the tile just did not adhere to it. The...
7
7

Setting water heater thermostats
We replaced an old single thermostat water heater with one that has two thermostats. If I want raise the water temperature a little, should both thermostats be set the same or is there a convention...
11
11

Blocked HVAC duct
I have a HVAC duct that is almost totally blocked. It has been this way since my home was constructed. I suspect a crimped vent or trash in the vent. The problem is the obstruction appears to be a...
12
12

OT Road numbers
I think I have heard this before but can't find it searching. I know even roads run e/w and odd roads run n/s. What I have not been able to find is block numbers. If the building address numbers...
17
17

Drilling a Well
I am drilling a well for the first time through decomposed granite. I am using a concrete carbide bit but it is not going very fast. One problem is getting the dirt out of the hole. I need to drill...
1
1

cub tractor froze
------------------------------------- ##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - - 342531...
7
7

Lost a couple of shingles
Howdy, We had a big wind storm go through a couple of weeks ago and it looks like a couple of shingles got blown off the roof. Looks like the black plastic or tar paper or whatever they put under the...
10
10

Tempstar Heat Pumps secondary heat isn't running during its Defrost Cycle
I am wondering if my heat pump's second-stage heat is not turning on during its defrost cycle. Tempstar XL 5300 Heat Pump, installed new 5-07. Installation instructions 331823-701 (Oct 2005) Trane...

Where do I buy toe nails?
I'm putting up a wall in the house to make a closet. I could not figure out how to nail the 2x4 placed on the floor into the studs. A friend came over who has built a lot of stuff, and he said I...
22
22

DRILL DOCTOR ???
Hi all, I'm contemplating getting a "Drill Doctor" to sharpen my drill bits, both at home and at my auto repair shop. What do you think of it, and what model do you recommend ??? RON...
9
9

Cost of adding on
I understand that this is an open ended question with probably lots of "it depends" variables, but I don't have much experience with building and thought I would toss this out. We want to hire...
18
18

breaker box date?
Do circuit breaker boxes come with a date stamp from when they are manufactered(like say an air conditioner does) -------------------------------------...
1
1

Yet more evidence of the Depression II
a line of UP locomotives sitting idle in a lineup in the Inland Empire of California; more than 125 at last count (more than a mile and a half of locos). We're screwed.
7
7