Subject Author Posted Replies

Installing vinyl Soffit and fascia over existing wood ok?
I have a garage that was built in the late 1940's It has the original wood soffit and fascia. There is a few spots of rot on the soffit (soft spots) But otherwise the wood is good. I was planning...
8
8

Is there a standard number of down spouts for gutters?
I have a standard rectangle layout roof. There are gutters in the front and the back of the house. There are down spouts on one end of the house only. (front and back) Is this typical? Or should there...
10
10

Update 3 on GE Profile Dryer :-(
After what seemed a success yesterday, with the dryer reportedly working, my wife told me that they dried three loads of clothes. Then the machine displayed a message "CLEAN LINT FILTER" and stopped...
6
6

A ceiling fan above the dinning table?
Is this strange? The way things work, with the kitchen, dinning room and living room all in an open floor plan, we tend to eat at the kitchen island most of the time. We rarely use the dinning table....
19
19

Genie garage door opener light wont go out
All, I have the Genie Garage door opener Pro 88 (1/3 hP) that probably was installed with the house... ca 1992. The thing works perfectly but the light timer doesn't seem to work. The light is...
2
2

Installing a whirlpool tub, need advice.
This is a drop in style fiberglass tub. The instructions say to lay a bed of mortar or plaster , then sit the tub in it. It has to have 100% support on the bottom and no weight on the lip where it...
2
2

drywall which got wet
Due to a leaky shower stall ( since replaced) some of the nearby drywall now has a 'puffy' look. I guess the paper coating has expanded or sumthin'. Can I lightly sand it and paint over...
22
22

How to keep tools clean ???
I have some of my tools on a board in my second garage. Some of them, I only use occasionally. These tend to get a little rusty color on them. I buff them off with a wire wheel on the grinder about...
15
15

duty cycle of fridge?
Hi all, got a really old fridge in my kitchen, nothing special just a 15-20 year old typical white boxy thing. Bought myself a new gadget the other day, one of those wireless thermometer thingys that...
9
9

OT Postage
Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢ stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to...
28
28

Washing Machine Drains During Agitation
I've got an older model Kenmore washing machine that has run great until last week. It is a model 110.82374110 (non-suds). The machine fills normally, but when agitation starts, the machine is...
9
9

I guess I need to reboot my ceiling fan. Help?
I've got a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that spontaneously started running in the wrong (winter) direction when I turned it on the other day to dry some carpeting I had cleaned. From what I understand...
13
13

Electric water heater -- non-simultaneous?
Had a bad lower element in my water heater and noticed that the diagram indicated "non-simultaneous" operation. I'm just a little curious about this scheme. Seems odd to me because the hot water...
9
9

Stuck Fuse - How to Remove
Some of the fuses in our Frigidaire Elite stove are stuck and I cannot remove them. I cannot turn them past a certain point. They are mounted vertically. All suggestions are appreciated. Thank you in...
18
18

Replacement Windows?
Has anyone had theirs done recently??? What brand did you decide on?? Our house is 16 years old which has Rivco windows. They are now out of business. We have 6 windows that is foggy, steamy on the...
17
17