Subject Author Posted Replies

Painter's tape inquiry
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off...
21
21

Good scrub down vs power washing deck
We are going to restain the deck. Before we do so, we are trying to decide if we want to power wash it or just use some deck cleaner. If the latter.. .any suggestions as to kind
5
5

Kenmore 19 fridge odd noise/behavior
I have a Kenomore 19 refrigerator I purchased in 1996 from an estate sale. Model 2539639013 man. 11-94. I believe this to be a FridgidAire unit. Fridge has worked fine since installed. About once a...
1
1

Rebonding counter laminate
The plastic laminate has debonded from a short section of the edge of my countertop. It was originally bonded with contact cement, but I'm not sure whether it was water-based or solvent-based. Can...
2
2

Bosch Axxess washer 230 volt supply plug
We have purchased this Washer and need to know what connections are needed to the outlet. I have a dryer 230 outlet near and it is connected with a Red, White, Black and Ground connection. I plan to...
13
13

How to compensate for ceiling strip when installing recessed housings?
I just ran into a problem. My ceiling sheetrocks are not attached directly to the joist, but to a layer of 1x3 furring strips which are then attached to the joists. See image below. when I install...
12
12

Good source for list of component parts of a gas-powered lawn mower and their costs
Hey, as part of an environmental design project I need to get data on the component parts that an average gas-powered lawn mower contains, and their associated costs. Ideally, this data would be...
2
2

Replacing Interior Door Knobs in Old House (odd size!)
Could someone help? We live in a house built in 1902 and have Rim Locks on all of our doors. We want to replace them, since many of them don't latch anymore. When we removed one to replace it with...
8
8

WD-40
I got this slightly old can of WD-40. From the git-go, if I needed a tiny bit of lube, about the least the thing would apply was around 14 times as much as needed. Now the can is 1/3 full, it stops...
75
75

Tile roof: Concrete vs. Coated Metal
Hi, My house needs a reroofing job hopefully last one. Tried to Decide on one from both material. I have good experienced installer lined up who will do a good job. Looks like concrete will cost...
3
3

noisy door
My flat has a heavy security door. While it opens silenty, it gives a very high and loud squeak when closing, disturbing not only me but my neighbours as well. Oiling and greasing has not helped. A...
29
29

How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap etc. How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83,...
43
43

Replacing garbage disposal in kitchen sink.
I'm reading the instructions for installing my 'disposal' and it says to use 'Plumber's Putty'. Since I'm not going to make a career of installing disposals, I'd rather...
15
15

Gray PVC fittings in residential plumbing -- kosher?
I've just redone one bathroom and found that the nipple between the brass fitting back in the wall and the stop valve for the toilet tank was gray PVC, such as one uses for sprinkler systems. I...
11
11

OT: How to measure 900°F...?
Howdy, I need to calibrate the self-cleaning temperature of my oven. It wants to be about 900°F. I can get expensive thermometers that will measure in that range but this is a one time thing. Next, I...
11
11