Subject Author Posted Replies

50 tools everyone should own
By the editors of Popular Mechanics add: * Fein Multimaster or its clone * Pencil * ???? Your suggestions? http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/tools/4314786.html
27

Replacing entry door only - no prehung door
My daughter has a steel entry door made by Masonite that she wants to replace with another style of steel Masonite door. One carpenter says she won't be happy with it unless she replaces...
9
9

entry door
I'm considering replacing my entry door. Looking at the Andersen brand at HD. Are the fiberglass doors, which are somewhat cheaper, any good? Or should I stay with a wood door? Can fiberglass be...
4
4

Cultured Marble Scratch Buffing Suggestions?
I can barely feel the sctrach with my fingernail but it is visible. I tried using a random orbit car polisher and red rubbing compound. No joy. Any suggestions?
4
4

Do you do?
I got a call on the answering machine. For my locksmith business. "Do you do combination locks?" Well, gee, lets see. Does the caller have a safe, vault, padlock, bicycle lock, keyless car entry,...
55
55

Camouflaged tools
Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors? Examples: The pruning shears I've lost several times in the last few days that are leaf green and yellow. After dropping them they blend...
16
16

Electrical Question: Clothes Drier
When we moved into our house (1982) there was a 240V line in the basement for a drier. The line connected to a metal box with two 30A fuses and a big on/off switch. But there were no circuit breakers...
21
21

problems with new water softener -- is this for a DIY-er or the experts?
Hello, About a month ago, a new water softener was installed in our home. We were told that we would need a new bag of salt about once every three to six months. As it turns out, we've gone...
16
16

concrete driveway - how think should the slab be for 7,000 pounds diesel truck
I'm thinking of having at least part of our gravel driveway concreted. My question is, what should I ask for? I'm wanting to do this because the driveway has a small slope down from the road...
2
2

How to paint window scrren
A screen room outside my home has fixed plastic "screens" that are waterproofed by a thin coating of clear vinyl or similar plastic sheeting. Portions of the waterproofing layer are flaking off,...
15
15

Power Wash Redwood Fence?
I have a redwood fence that has quite a bit of green moss growing on it in quite a few places. (From watering the flowers I suspect). My wife wants me to power wash the moss off the fence, but I have...
6
6

Painting PVC pipe
Created a hanging garden setup using PVC pipe and a couple plastic 5 gal buckets. Technically fine but ugly white. Wondering what paints work best in exterior situations? Based on the size spray or...
4
4

Can I run gas pipe thru heating ducts?
I was told that pre-heating natural or LP gas will increase the BTUs and decrease the gas usage. I got to thinking that if I run the gas pipes thru the heating ducts the gas will be heated as it is...
7
7

(Pools) removing old flex tubing
I recently fixed up some tubing around my pool filter, and I had a bit of a struggle removing some old flex tubing -- It seemed to be on quite tight. For this task I was able to take a small saw, and...
4
4

Irrigation well iron filters?
I'm looking at putting in a lawn irrigation well. Unfortunately, the two choices appear to be a relatively shallow well at about 50 ft, which runs at least a 50% chance of containing too much...
4
4