Subject Author Posted Replies

Motion security light recommendation (to replace old low end Heath-Zenith)
One of my low-end Home Depot Heath-Zenith Motion Security Lights just went bad after about 5 years. The light sensor stopped working though the motion sensor and lights themselves work fine (see below...
6
6

threaded wire connectors
Hi, I've recently realized that I don't feel comfortable making wire nut connections with threaded wire. I can actually make a mean connection with solid wires that professional electricians...
39
39

least leaky dryer vent?
Anyone have any suggestions for the least leaky (air-wise) dryer vent? What I've read is that the 'flying shuttle' type is the best option out there: bought one of these years ago and the...
5
5

Holddown screws for backfed main breakers
Regarding the thread above about the C-H electric service panel, I'm now convinced that the holddown screws on the main breakers are required and should be there. So this is for a new panel; what...
4
4

Creator of WD-40 dies
See (registration probably not required; if it is, use Bugmenot) And to all those naysayers here (you know--"WD-40 is noth Convair, a unit of General Dynamics, first used WD-40 to protect the outer...
11
11

Gluing aluminum to glass: 2nd go-round
In our last episode, I asked about sticky substances to adhere an aluminum strip to the bottom of a glass shower door. Thanks to all who gave good answers in that thread. So just to report that I got...
7
7

Garage Door Opener receiiver. What is the normal load on one?
Would the normal load of a garage door opener, on the GDO receiver relay, be more than the current it takes to close a simple relay? Using 16 volts AC for the relay coil, through the normally open dry...
2
2

Is there a programmable thermostat that can...
...anticipate the time it takes to reach a certain temperature by a certain time? For example, during the day while no one is home but the cats, we keep the temperature set at 80°F. I arrive home at...
25
25

old garage door, bowing
Give me a chance of success here...(you garage door pros) I have an Al door, 18+ ft?, 20 years old, that bows in the middle (when the door is in the open position). Because of it, the door...
8
8

shower stall strainer leaking
My shower stall was leaking. I purchased a new strainer, cut a hole in the ceiling, removed the old strainer and installed the new one. Well, it still leaks. After some detective works, I found that...
4
4

Leak in my basement
I've got a leak in my basement coming from under the drywall. Behind the drywall is a poured concrete wall. In the 4 years I've lived here I have never had any problems like this. The house...
10
10

garage door lift cable loosens as door reaches fully open height
One of my garage door tension springs broke and I replaced both springs with a set that had previously been used in a friend's garage for only 5 years. We installed, them, wound them so that the...
8
8

Matching surface texture of sanded grout
I need to repair some tiles in our bathroom. I did a reasonable job of matching the color using Mapei Ultracolor sanded grout. However, the surface texture of the old (sanded) grout is more like 60...
2
2

Oldest running House AC unit
I've got a house in Phoenix with the original Goetle AC package unit on the roof, 3 ton. The house was built in 1971 so the unit is 38 years old. The condenser fan was replaced 4 times and an...
18
18

Conduit
Can one of you code book guys tell me if it is required by code to put single wires in conduit? I am putting a sub panel in a building and want to know if it is required to put the three #2 wires...
2
2