Subject Author Posted Replies

Grey Squirrel Birthing Patterns
I live in Massachusetts and squirrels have gotten into the area above my sun parlor ceiling though some rotted fascia board. The entry point is clearly visible. Before trying to drive them out (I...
6
6

Shielding an A/C Compressor/Condenser Unit
Our A/C Compressor/Condenser is only shaded by the shadow of our house until about mid-morning. The rest of the day it sits in direct sunlight. We live in the AZ desert where our summer temperatures...
33
33

Leaking bathtub faucet
My bath/shower faucet(separate hot/cold) is starting to leak pretty bad (on the cold side). My plumber said a tile guy would need to break down the tile surrounding the faucets. I've read many...
2
2

Storing an Auto Battery?
I've ended up with an extra car battery. Took it to a local auto parts store, to see if it was worth anything. The clerk tested it and said it was "almost as good as new." He said it showed 12.5...
41
41

Non-Plumbing PVC Projects---What have you used it for?
Yesterday I was struggling with a pool maintenance task that I have to do 2-3 times a year, and I decided to build a PVC fixture to make the task less of a hassle. It made the job way easier. Guess...
18
18

Solar water heater life
From the info I have gathered the life expectancy of a solar water heate is comparable to a run of the mill non solar water heater. I would think they should last just about forever. What goes out on...
10
10

Cutting Floor
I need to replace a 5/8 plywood floor in a half bath. I want to cut it flush to the wall without having to tear up the drywall. I was planning to use a Sawzall (which will be a bit difficult to do...
12
12

Do Anteaters Make Good Pets?
I have a big problem with little ants. Not the really tiny micro-ants, but the red ones that are maybe 1/2" long. They are surprisingly painful when they bite you and leave a sizable welt. I have...
48
48

Sump Pump Costs
------------------------------------- When houses were built in my neighborhood 25 years ago in upstate NY, no codes for sump discharge existed. Builders just connected sump discharge to waste water...
7
7

240 Volt wire?
Hi, I have a wire that seems to have only to conductors in it. It's a gray wire in which the plastic sheath is tight over the wire. The two wires are about 1/4" apart. I'm not sure how to...
10
10

what's this wire for?
Just pulled out 100 feet of this: connected to anything at either end. What did its function used to be? http://freeboundaries.com/wire.jpg
12
12

Ceiling Fans - Thank you
I have received so many helpful replies as it relates to getting a ceiling fan in my bedroom. I have decided to go ahead with the project. It will have a light, and a remote control. It will also be a...
4
4

Plumbing Parts Availability Question .. .. ..
The other night, while on vacation in the Chicago area, I got a frantic phone call from home that my basement was rapidly filling with water (house is in SE Tennessee). I got a nearby neighbor to run...
14
14

Chassis wiring vs. power transmission
I'm learning to interpret the table here (about 1/3 of the way down): are examples "Chassis wiring" and what is "power transmission"? My specific situation: I have a 70 foot run of 10/3 wire to a...
3
3

Plant/shrub protection while pressure washing
I plan to pressure wash the outside of my two story home in the near future. What is the best method of protecting plants and shrubs from water damage during this process. I have numerous large and...
4
4