Subject Author Posted Replies

Replacing a redwood deck
I have a redwood deck just outside my front door. The steps leading up to it are TREX. The TREX flaked badly, and I got a settlement check. Today, a friend was going to help me rebuild the steps...
17
17

Liftmaster garage door opener
A few days ago, my aunt had to use the wall button to lower her garage door. Both remotes would raise it but not lower it. Now, after a few days of using the wall button, she finds that the remotes...
6
6

Why I hate Norm Abrams
Well, I don't personally hate him. Don't even know the guy. (Certainly no fan of his, though.) But that's the title of the latest piece by one of my favorite columnists in the /Berkeley...
11
11

dimmable CFLs?
Anyone have any *good* experiences with 'em? I know, everyone jumped on the bandwagon 2 years ago, but I only have one dimmer-controlled light fixture in my whole house (yes, with two of those...
21
21

Why I hate Norm Abrams
Well, I don't personally hate him. Don't even know the guy. But that's the title of the latest piece by one of my favorite columnists in the /Berkeley Daily Planet/, Matt Cantor, local...
82
82

Tiny toilet leak
Old American Standard toilet from around 1954. Has some Fluidmaster components in it. It works OK but about 4 times/day it pumps maybe an additional gallon of water in, so it has a slow leak. I...
8
8

honda model hrt216sdr lawn mower
------------------------------------- I have a honda mower model HRT216SDA. I replaced the transmission and clutch arm because the clutch arm was worn as well as the tip that extends up from the...
2
2

Concrete Garage Floor Question
Hi folks, I'm in a cold climate - eastern Canada. The apron (for lack of a better term) of my 30 year-old concrete garage floor is starting to chip rather badly. You can see the nature of the...
22
22

Electrical circuit problem - help!
Last night a circuit breaker tripped. On this circuit are the overhead lights and outlets in a couple bedrooms and a hall light. I flipped the breaker back on, but power only came back to one of the...
18
18

Water Heater Question
Would there be much difference in operating costs for a 40 gallon gas water heater vs. a 30 gallon ?
16
16

Cash4Clunkers - see a Corvette die
Sniff... soon: Healthcare for grandma... Killing a corvette for the cash for clunkers program. ran for quite a while Killing a corvette for the cash for clunkers program. ran for quite a while
76
76

Taping the bathroom under remodeling
My contractor uses SHEETROCK® Drywall Joint Tape to tape outside the shower stall and a "classic" fiberglass mesh joint tape FibaTape inside the stall. While the latter is mold-resistant, is it still...
10
10

Teledyne Leers ECS325N
My friend has a Teledyne Leers ECS325N swimming pool heater which does not seem to start. It would make a sparking sound when I flipped the swithch from OFF to SPA . Does anyone know of web sites...
3
3

OT: Churchillian reposte
I hadn't heard this one. In 1945, Churchill walked into the men's room at the House of Commons. Standing at the first urinal was Clement Atlee, the new Prime Minister. Churchill passed him and...
3
3

Step Lights
I am not sure what these are called. I think they are called step lights. From the driveway, I take three steps up to the landing that leads to the front door. On each side of the steps is a 32" wide...
14
14