Subject Author Posted Replies

Slider advice
I have a 5x8', pretty thick, plywood base resting on the edges three (maybe four) 2x12 frames. This plywood base has on it a significant load, maybe 200 pounds. I would like to be able to slide...
13
13

Electrolysis for de-rusting
In chemistry and manufacturing, electrolysis is a method of using an electric current to drive an otherwise non-spontaneous chemical reaction. I think it should be practical to use electrolysis to...
11
11

Slightly OT - Electrical Puzzle
Using a handheld voltmeter, at the battery on my car, I get a reading of around 12.5 volts. When I use the same voltmeter at the cigarette lighter socket and at the accessory outlet, I get a reading...
14
14

Frugal day bed?
Id like to take a twin size mattress I have and make a daybed out of it in my loft style apartment (read small) so as to provide sitting space and spare bed for company. However daybed frames are...
8
8

How much can a wooden door swell?
How much can a wooden door swell? Do I have to wait until it shrinks again? It's never been anywhere near this bad before in the last 15 or more years. A friend has a wood front door, a panel door...
9
9

Shed project question
have a dumb question about my shed project......I'm constructing a 12x16 shed. have poured concrete slab and put down one row of concrete blocks, I will pick up lumber tomorrow. planning to use...
2
2

testing water heater
Hmm, our water heater seems to have become unwell in the last couple of days - taking a long time to reheat, and whilst the hot water it eventually produces is still hot (not just warm) it runs out...
5
5

Washer/Dryer combo problems
I have a MLCE52RCS1 washer dryer combo and I'm looking for a service manual. I've got a broke tub support and drum and would like to replace it. Any help would be appreciated. Is there a...
3
3

Please find these plumbing parts...
I've searched a few plumbing sites, but couldn't find what I was looking for. Maybe you guys that know the plumbing sites better than me can help out. I'm looking for either a 3 1/2" to 1...
4
4

gas engine clogging up
I have a TroyBilt powerwasher with the Briggs & Stratton engine I bought at Lowe's a couple of months ago. It has oil, but seems to run while emitting a white cloudy smoke. If I don't have it...
10
10

470 feet of extension cord
Students Try to Steal Giant Pepper From Chili's Rooftop Four people were arrested on Sunday after attempting to steal a giant chili pepper from atop a Chili's Grill and Bar in Vermont....
2
2

saw on a rope
I've seen flexible "wire" saws that can bend a good bit. These wire saws have a grit coating. I need to cut down a tree and was wondering if anyone has ever used something like this on a rope. You...
25
25

CFL's in humid environments
I don't know if this typical for CFL's or for one particular brand. I replaced 3 incandescent bulbs with 3 CFL's and they all burned up within 6 months. The bathroom is small and it has no...
9
9

Garbage Disposal Problem
Machine is 8 years old and has worked well for all this time. Today it stopped working. When I turn the electricity on it hums and does not rotate. It is not jammed. I can rotate the shaft by hand....
8
8

Lowe's Lousy Inventory
I went to Lowe's today to pick up an assortment of materials; a 1 micron water filter, a toilet handle, a tube of butyl calk, a gallon of Snow Roof, a 3" self-closing RV trailer dump fitting, and...
71
71