Subject Author Posted Replies

How much foundation for a path is enough?
Hi, I'm going for this look: just had a contractor come and give me an estimate. He insisted that what is required is to dig six inches down and pack the opening with modified stone. I was hoping...
8
8

Fluorescent Not Starting At Initial Turnons ?
Hello, Put up the typical four foot (2 bulb) fluorescent light over my workbench. Bought at HD. Sometimes it takes, literally 3 or 4 tries turning the AC switch on and off before it lights and stays...
30
30

substitute for curtains during the daytime
A friends flat is overlooked by other flats and they want to put up some japanese type opaque paper and also some reflective film ( the type you can look out of, but people looking in only see a...
17
17

Concrete Steps are Done - Thanks Everyone
I posted a few weeks back. I had a redwood deck/steps leading to my front door and I was tired of having to treat it every summer. It was all ripped out, and new concrete was poured and the job was...
13
13

Help With Transformer Install
I have a question that relates to a doorbell install that you folks have been helping me with, along with another transformer install that I have to do for a AC system. The transformer that had been...
6
6

Circular Hole in a Bottle
I wish to cut a round disk out of several wine bottles. The bottle has an etched figure I wish to remove for another purpose. I have a virtually unlimited supply of these bottles and they have no...
21
21

Substitute for outdoor garbage can lid
For once I was went out just an hour after my garbage was collected, and no one was out there, and yet this was the day my lid disappeared. I've waited a week for it to return, but I don't...
24
24

Delmar Blind Repair
Is there a place where I can send Delmar blinds to be repaired? Or, where can I get repair kits? and, how difficult is it to re-string blinds? Thanks Sea Dog
1
1

This group
Is an amazing wealth of knowledge! Just thought I would say that. :-) Usenet is dying, so when it dies, I want to know where you guys end up. I've learned so much from this group. Skunks, trees,...
28
28

Hooking Up Doorbell Via Homerun Closet Need Help
I have a bit of an unusual situation. I wired up my house when I did a remodel to install a key system and an intercom at the front door. As such all I did was run a four pair Cat5e from the doorbell...
5
5

Apollo to Houston: We have a toilet problem.
Emboldened by my vast, bold previous experiences, I embarked upon another journey into the dark mysterious world of toilets. When I pulled out the old toilet and saw this, I knew that I wasn't...
1
1

mesh fencing on a slope
Silly question, but is there an accepted method for fencing on a slope when using rectanglar mesh fence? (I've got all the lumber I need now for building the dog fence, which which will be a...
1
1

Slider advice
I have a 5x8', pretty thick, plywood base resting on the edges three (maybe four) 2x12 frames. This plywood base has on it a significant load, maybe 200 pounds. I would like to be able to slide...
13
13

Electrolysis for de-rusting
In chemistry and manufacturing, electrolysis is a method of using an electric current to drive an otherwise non-spontaneous chemical reaction. I think it should be practical to use electrolysis to...
11
11

Slightly OT - Electrical Puzzle
Using a handheld voltmeter, at the battery on my car, I get a reading of around 12.5 volts. When I use the same voltmeter at the cigarette lighter socket and at the accessory outlet, I get a reading...
14
14