Subject Author Posted Replies

Green Stranded Wire for Outlet Ground?
I'm adding a couple of outlets in my kitchen, and using metal boxes. Does the short insulated green wire which grounds the outlet to the box HAVE to be solid to comply with the electrical code? I...
7
7

Electrical circuit hazard?
Hi, I caused a problem with an electrical circuit and would like to know whether it's a hazard until my electrician has a chance to check things out. Scenario: Two switches (a dimmer switch and a...
23
23

honda lawnmower engine questions
After 4 years of faithful service, the Honda engine in my Sam's club special MTD Pro walk-behind, is starting to give me problems. Engine model is 5.5 hp GVC 160 or 190- don't know how to tell...
4
4

OT: Steam Cleaners?
Anyone familiar with something like this unit? I don't understand it. Thanks. http://www.myvaporclean.com/gaia.htm
8
8

Wiring Double GFCI?
I'm replacing the single 20A kitchen countertop duplex outlet with a double box and two 20A GFCIs (both side by side in the double box) fed by a single dedicated 20A circuit breaker. Do I simply...
30
30

Making dryer vent hole in brick (not cement block)
I suppose I need a hammer drill to outline the hole then knock it out with a hammer and chisel? This is for an upstairs laundry room I've created. No other way to vent the dryer.
14
14

Water under foundation....when to panic?
It's been rainy here in the South this past week. Nearly 10 inches of rain over 4 days according to my rain gauge. Long story short, I ended up with a little water in my basement (probaby not more...
15
15

Can you place this saw?
Hi, Can you tell from this picture this saw is and (if it's in good work order) what it might be worth? Thanks, Aaron http://freeboundaries.com/mysterysaw.jpg
6
6

Doerr 1/2 HP electric motor. Replacement Cost?
My septic aererator motor went out. I can tell its getting juice because I can hear it trying to move, but it seems to be frozen. I am considering buying a new one and fixing (getting it fixed) the...
8
8

Coating or thick paint for fiberglass pool filter
I have an older fiberglass pool filter where the outer layer of the resin has worn away over time and now the fibers are exposed. I want to put some sort of thick coating or paint (epoxy?) on it to...
5
5

Keeping Washing Machine from Freezing
My Virginia tree farm near the Blue Ridge Parkway is remote and has no grid power. I currently only work it on weekends. My agricultural well is generator operated. I use large pressure storage tanks...
5
5

why limit number of circuits
Hi, I have a 30 amp subpanel fed by a 10/3 wire. My electrician told me that the code stipulates that the panel contain no more than 4 circuits. Why such a limitation? Why can't I split 30 amps...
22
22

Home Shp Machinist Magazines - 8 Years of them
September 2000 through December 2008, all issues in excellent condition. See my ad on ebay at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160363510815 http://tinyurl.com/rduod4...
4
4

Pumping out Underground Oil Tank
I have an underground oil tank that is almost full of home heating oil. I believe it is a 500 gallon tank. It is for a heating system that is decommishioned. I'd like to get the tank emptied to...
28
28

Debate over mandatory spriklers
"State and local officials are now wrestling over whether to adopt building codes that would require sprinklers in every new home and townhome starting in 2011 amid intense lobbying from both sides."
58
58