Subject Author Posted Replies

Why do some 240 volt devices need a neutral?
The way I see it, the current flows from one conductor to the other? So what's the neutral for? The only thing I can think of is perhaps these devices have several independent parts in them and...
7
7

How is the main breaker different?
Hi, This is just a theoretical question to satisfy my curiosity. A panel can be back-fed through a regular breaker. How is a main breaker, then, different from a regular breaker? Or is it just a...
11
11

OT: Alberta (it's in Canada) SCORES!
"Alberta has dropped the handwritten portions of Grade 12 diploma exams in math and science, making the tests entirely multiple choice. The change to exams in math, applied math, chemistry, biology,...
4
4

PVC water pipe for electrical conduit
One of my neighbors noticed the 50 Amp circuit for his spa was in PVC water pipe. I know PVC pipe can break down in sun light but this stuff is coated with about 4 layers of house paint. Even though...
14
14

Freezer too cold
I have a 6 month old Whirlpool refrigerator. It is a low end model with the freezer on top. There is only one control for both the top and bottom. The freezer gets down to -30 degrees F. while the...
16
16

To Pump or Not to Pump
We have a three year old home with a new three year old septic system. We live in the AZ desert with typical desert soil. There are only two adult permanent residences and the occasional visitor....
22
22

Roller shades
Does anyone know of a roller shade of decent design that will stay on track and not shred upon use? Presently the only inexpensive roller shade that I have been able to find is the type that is...
5
5

Framing around ductwork: pics
I recently gutted out a room in my basement and I am finishing off with sheetrock walls. I have ductwork running in the room. you can see, the ductwork is not just a simple box, but there are several...
14
14

Lighting
It has been a cold winter, then a rainy spring, and finally, it turned too hot to do any work outside. Last weekend though, had perfect weather so I took down the Christmas lights. Today, it is going...
9
9

OT: Is a stuck car accelerator capable of doing this?
Occasionally over the years there have been reports by a few people claiming that their accelerator got stuck and they were unable to stop the car by any means. I'm not talking about the case...
89
89

Lighting a gas water heater pilot
My friend is having trouble lighting the pilot on his gas water heater. I've looked ont the web and so far only found instructions for when things are going well, which doesn't apply here. It...
24
24

Can Lg Washer drain go up into the ceiling and over to sewer pipe ?
We have a new Lg Front loader washing machine... The manual says the drain pump will work to a max of 8 feet. I'm wondering if I could relocate my washer to where there is no drain pipe, then...
16
16

Green Stranded Wire for Outlet Ground?
I'm adding a couple of outlets in my kitchen, and using metal boxes. Does the short insulated green wire which grounds the outlet to the box HAVE to be solid to comply with the electrical code? I...
7
7

Electrical circuit hazard?
Hi, I caused a problem with an electrical circuit and would like to know whether it's a hazard until my electrician has a chance to check things out. Scenario: Two switches (a dimmer switch and a...
23
23

honda lawnmower engine questions
After 4 years of faithful service, the Honda engine in my Sam's club special MTD Pro walk-behind, is starting to give me problems. Engine model is 5.5 hp GVC 160 or 190- don't know how to tell...
4
4