Subject Author Posted Replies

Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing
I have a Burnham oil boiler with a Beckett burner on it. The burner does not fire up. It just kind of buzzes or hums a bit for about 30 seconds then shuts off. I am hoping I can get one more week out...
5
5

What gauge wire?
I am off grid. Last year I built a shop powered by generator through an Inverter. The inverter supplys power through a 200 amp power panel to circuits in the shop. I am now building a house about 40...
2
2

Using Fiberglass Resin as Primer and Sealer
I have an old plywood rowboat which periodically is repaired with fiberglass cloth. This has worked very welll- the boat is now about 70 years old! I just did some minor repair work including bottom...
10
10

Insulating a flat roof
Hi all: I'm insulating a flat roof from inside the house, using faced fiberglass batts. There's 3 or 4 places in the roof where insulated electrical wiring (14/2 w/ground) is run across the...
10
10

Wiring in a DSL filter
I need to wire a DSL filter with a modular jack and plug into a phone line without a modular jack/plug. I figured I'd cut the plug off the DSL filter and wire those into the phone line. However,...
30
30

Light Fixture ?
Caution: Risk of fire, most dwellings built before 1985 have supply wire rated 60 degrees C, consult a qualified electrician to ensure correct branch circuit conductor. What does this mean? Never saw...
10
10

Framing basement: metal headers and plate, with wood studs?
I am framing my basement, and love the idea of building a metal-stud wall in place. It seems very convenient to just attach metal top (header) and bottom (plate) studs and then cut the vertical studs...
14
14

Basic electrical question
Wiring my basement. I've got 20 amp circuits using 12/2 wire. The rough wiring passed the town's inspection. I need to wire two troffer lights. Due to their location, I need to use the armor...
7
7

Very slippery marble floor
I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I nearly slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall. Is there any easy method to make this surface have more...
20
20

Contractor Didn't Finish Work
I had a one-man company do repair work on my house. We have a contract saying what he will do and for how much. When his workers said they finished, he and I looked and agreed orally that they...
15
15

Water pump, running correctly??
Few weeks ago I had to replace the pressure switch on our water pump because it would run around 120PSI non-stop. So I installed the new pressure switch (40/60). I set it to turn on at 40PSI and shut...
25
25

I want to build my own on-wall radiator
Hi, How hard can it be to build something like this: a DIY project!? (I'm not talking about achieving the look and feel.) My plan is take 1/2 copper tubing (the smaller the diameter the better, I...
17
17

Tripping the equivalent of a circuit breaker incorporated GFCI
In a Middle eastern location my relative was checking out a potential fault that occasioanlly tripped the 'whole house' GFCI/circuit breaker of his living accomodation. Poorly built...

chainsaw technique
hey all, I was cutting wood for about 3 hrs on sat, and ran into an issue that I think can be solved with better technique... I find that most of my cuts always end "curving" to the right as I...
19
19

Timber Frame Kit
Hi, A few weeks ago I found a timber frame kit from a link in this newsgroup. The kit was for structure of about 14' x 16' for around $4700. Unfortunately, I didn't save the link and I...
1
1