Subject Author Posted Replies

Light Fixture ?
Caution: Risk of fire, most dwellings built before 1985 have supply wire rated 60 degrees C, consult a qualified electrician to ensure correct branch circuit conductor. What does this mean? Never saw...
10
10

Framing basement: metal headers and plate, with wood studs?
I am framing my basement, and love the idea of building a metal-stud wall in place. It seems very convenient to just attach metal top (header) and bottom (plate) studs and then cut the vertical studs...
14
14

Basic electrical question
Wiring my basement. I've got 20 amp circuits using 12/2 wire. The rough wiring passed the town's inspection. I need to wire two troffer lights. Due to their location, I need to use the armor...
7
7

Very slippery marble floor
I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I nearly slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall. Is there any easy method to make this surface have more...
20
20

Contractor Didn't Finish Work
I had a one-man company do repair work on my house. We have a contract saying what he will do and for how much. When his workers said they finished, he and I looked and agreed orally that they...
15
15

Water pump, running correctly??
Few weeks ago I had to replace the pressure switch on our water pump because it would run around 120PSI non-stop. So I installed the new pressure switch (40/60). I set it to turn on at 40PSI and shut...
25
25

I want to build my own on-wall radiator
Hi, How hard can it be to build something like this: a DIY project!? (I'm not talking about achieving the look and feel.) My plan is take 1/2 copper tubing (the smaller the diameter the better, I...
17
17

Tripping the equivalent of a circuit breaker incorporated GFCI
In a Middle eastern location my relative was checking out a potential fault that occasioanlly tripped the 'whole house' GFCI/circuit breaker of his living accomodation. Poorly built...

chainsaw technique
hey all, I was cutting wood for about 3 hrs on sat, and ran into an issue that I think can be solved with better technique... I find that most of my cuts always end "curving" to the right as I...
19
19

Timber Frame Kit
Hi, A few weeks ago I found a timber frame kit from a link in this newsgroup. The kit was for structure of about 14' x 16' for around $4700. Unfortunately, I didn't save the link and I...
1
1

Lighting puzzle
I have a 4' Florescent fixture with 2 F40cw tubes. The tubes look like there half lit, sometimes they will fully light & other times there very low. I don't know if it is the fixture or tubes...
5
5

Why do some 240 volt devices need a neutral?
The way I see it, the current flows from one conductor to the other? So what's the neutral for? The only thing I can think of is perhaps these devices have several independent parts in them and...
7
7

How is the main breaker different?
Hi, This is just a theoretical question to satisfy my curiosity. A panel can be back-fed through a regular breaker. How is a main breaker, then, different from a regular breaker? Or is it just a...
11
11

OT: Alberta (it's in Canada) SCORES!
"Alberta has dropped the handwritten portions of Grade 12 diploma exams in math and science, making the tests entirely multiple choice. The change to exams in math, applied math, chemistry, biology,...
4
4

PVC water pipe for electrical conduit
One of my neighbors noticed the 50 Amp circuit for his spa was in PVC water pipe. I know PVC pipe can break down in sun light but this stuff is coated with about 4 layers of house paint. Even though...
14
14