Subject Author Posted Replies

Adventures in (commercial) drywall
Firewall. 2 layers of 5/8 (x2, both sides), offset seams, to be "firecaulked" (at $15/12 oz. tube). told these idiots (oh, yeah, we can hang rock, can o' corn!) to plumb their first sheet (of the...
7
7

Winterizing time
Hi All, It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year. I took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new antifreeze). I know we need to check all caulking...
35
35

Smoke detectors for the elderly
I was at an elderly friend's house the other day when the smoke alarm went off. It was quite loud and I reacted instantly to the noise. My friend, a former Army marksman in his 70's, who's...
111
111

What's the best table saw cleaner?
Hi, As a follow up to my previous post concerning best rust preserving treatment... What's the best cleaner for a table saw surface. This table saw that I inherited had all sorts of rust and gunk...
5
5

Circular saw with counter-rotating blades
Anybody use this type circular saw yet? Give us a report if you have. Hank
1
1

when (if) to use t-molding in laminate flooring installation
When should t-moldings be used when installing laminate flooring across several rooms (or the entire level) of a home? I believe my 1st home was installed with no t-moldings at all except some...
2
2

How to remove the toilet flange plug?
In a new construction I have two toilet flanges. Both have this plug I have never seen before. It is on pretty solid. It has a little tab on it sticking up. I tried to pull on the tab with pliers but...
2
2

Removing excess grout
If grout is already dry but has not been sealed yet, what is the best way to remove (scrape off?) it from the adjusted to the edge area of the travertine tile?
5
5

anyone built any do it yourself windmills or solar panels that work well?
I ran across a website that says it's easy to build your own solar panels and home made windmills. Anyone actually done this?
16
16

Outdoor pond
Have any of you ever built an outdoor pond? I'm curious whether I really need to use 45 mil pond liner, or can I save $$$ and go with 20 mil for about 30% less? I'm in NC, if it matters.
20
20

Diamond blade for HF multipurpose power tool
1) The half moon #27673 diamond blade for tile grout and such, which has been on back order from Harbor Freight, is now in stock and shipping. Mine arrived today in time for some chores that the #...
4
4

Stain Removal (tomato sauce) On Rubbermaid Plastic Containers ?
Hello, Anyone happen to know what, if anything, will remove tomato sauce discoloring of the typical Rubbermaid (semi-rigid) plastic food containers ? Are there any particularly good stain removal...
22
22

Removing weeds within monkey (or mondo) grass
I have a walkway that's bordered by clumps of either monkey or mondo grass (I'm not sure which). The clumps usually do pretty well, but this year several were pretty much taken over by weeds!...
2
2

Removing an azalea bush with yellowjackets
My front yard has (had) 2 azalea bushes beside of a Juniper tree, and while they looked good when I first moved here, they've grown into a mess. So, I thought it would be good to remove the azalea...
9
9

Appropriate NG for outdoor / landscaping questions?
Before I start asking, I wanted to ask if this is an appropriate NG for questions regarding things like lawn repair, tree trimming, weed / bee removal, and other landscaping questions? If not, can you...
7
7