Subject Author Posted Replies

Floor insulation ==> frozen pipes???
Floor insulation ==> frozen pipes??? I'm eligible for a low-income weatherization program. They want to put insulation in my floors. It's a ranch-style frame house 40 years old. Crawl space is...
5
5

Converting UK appliance for USA use
I have an iron which is designed specifically for use on the cloth of a snooker, (like pool), table. It is from the UK and of course is 250V, and has an internal fuse of 13 amps. I know that the UK...
12
12

Nailing down a roof vent
Hello, I am repairing a small section of my three-tab composite roof, and installing a ducted roof vent for my bathroom fan. What is puzzling me is that in addition to the two holes at the top of the...
4
4

moving steam radiator
I need to move a steam radiator about six feet from its current location. This is a single pipe system with black pipe. The piping is all accessible in the basement. I have zero experience working...
5
5

Shower walls, flexible panels
I just bought a couple of those plastic (acrylic, I think) panels that are used for gluing over old tile or backerboard to create a new clean look for a shower. These panels are 36" by 80" and...
6
6

electronic thermostat installation
hi I want to replace my existing baseboard heater thermostat. I have new one (Honeywell RLV 450) but it only has two wires for connections and the old one has 4 wire hookup. What wires are used (there...
8
8

attached garage roof meets t1-11... how to flash?
so... how in the world can I flash from a roof to t1-11? just fill the grooves with foam insulation rope and caulk (and then a face board)? fill the grooves with caulk and run flashing in front? has...
13
13

How to glue 6-mil polyethylene sheeting to concrete
The polyethylene sheeting I used under a Pergo floor was packaged in a roll, but folded in thirds so the roll wouldn't be 12'feet long but a more manageable 4' long. When I unfolded the...
19
19

How did sand get inside my sawzall?
I was making some cuts today on some underground pipes using my Milwaukee sawzall. The saw was placed very close to the ground and as I turned on the saw it seems to blast sand in all directions. I...
3
3

Vise ID
seen a lot of vises with an anvil top, but not with a curved lip like this one. Anyone know what this is used for? Not much room to put anything and pound on. Steve
4
4

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?
That's a pretty big exception. As a guy who custom builds electronics by hand, I am sure that you realize that even one delicate step in a process, say soldering an SMD component to a circuit board by...
342
342

0W20 oil
Getting ready for the first oil change in my 2009 Matrix and read the owner's manual and found that they recommend 0W20 oil fer this thang. K-Mart doesn't carry it. Menards doesn't carry...
79
79

CRAFTSMAN (Poulan) Chain saw, Model# 358351063
I bought this thing 10-15 years ago and it's had moderate+ use. Before I bought it, it was returned to Sears under warranty, repaired, and I bought it for $50 clearance, under warranty, missing...
5
5

Cash In A Flash - Gas Engine Repair
Cash In A Flash - Gas Engine Repair The morning chill bit through Drake Schnatter's worn jacket as he cruised up the aisles of the weekly flea market. Schnatter's eye scanned the vendor's...
15
15

Kidde AC Powered Wireless Smoke Detectors )interconnected) ?
Hello, Was wondering if anyone is using those relatively new AC powered Kidde Wireless smoke alarms ? They have the capability of being interconnected so if one goes off, they all do. How is the...