Subject Author Posted Replies

exterior stucco
HI -- we have recently bought a 70's stucco house (what's it called with the embedded sharp bits of rock or quartz). I'm wondering if it's possible to plaster over it (perhaps with...
3
3

Bulding an outdoor basement stairway entrance
I have a property that has an outdoor concrete stairway that leads to a basement entrance. The steps run down below grade along the back wall of the basement to a landing, and then by turning right...
16
16

Toilet issue, Moms
Hi folks, this in from Mom. "comode is not holding water but fills up fine but leaks out over time so must be refilled." Ideas? She'd mean the toilet bowl not the tank.
27
27

Snow blower power ratings
I am looking for a new snow blower and have discovered that the power rating of the engines are no longer in "Horse Power" but in "Foot Pounds" if given at all. Sometimes all that is given is the...
65
65

Cleaning a Carrier furnace
Hi! I have a Performance 80 furnace from Carrier. I would like to clean it out before the start of the winter. I was hoping somebody could post some tips on how to vacuum it and where I should clean....
6
6

More sprinkler mischief
[D.C.] Three firefighters catch fire during demonstration of how wonderful sprinklers are. With video of burning firemen
2
2

Pencil sharpener bit
... for a Makita drill. why not?
17
17

OT ? Foul odor emanating from my car air conditioner
This may not really be OT in AHR, after all, my car is parked in my garage, part of my home. Maybe this is stretching it? :-). I don't know where else to ask. I drive a 1993 Chevy Lumina with...
15
15

Replacement Gas Fired Boiler -Which one
I am about to replace a 50 year old oil fired water boiler in a 3 BR ranch in Virginia Beach, VA. Because natural gas is now available to me, I will be using a natural gas fired boiler. Replacement...
6
6

Bypassing Snap Disc
After lighting the 1st fire of the season in the Heat & Glo North Star, I find that the Snap Disc that controls the variable speed for the fan motor doesn't work. The fan works with the alternate...
1
1

5 gallon gas can vent
Why don't they put vents on plastic gas cans any more? What's wrong with these idiots? It is really stupid to sit there pouring gas that's going glug, glug very slowly and you have to hold...
46
46

Looking for new home
Is it safe to buy a home with Cinder Block basement walls instead of Poured Concrete ?
12
12

Adding Utility Tub Next to Washer/Dryer
I want to add a utility tub next to the washer in the laundry room. The room is on the first floor with basement access. The washer is connected to a utility box that supplies hot/cold water and...
4
4

mortar question
I'm replacing a lower roof, which abuts a cement-block wall. I need to flash this joint. In other places, I've cut a slit in the blocks, and fit the upper flashing into the slit. I can't...
2
2

GE Profile Gas Cooktop Question
I have a GE gas cooktop, the model number is JGP989BC. It has one large burner, two medium burners, and one small burner. Occasionally, if all of the burners are on high, and I turn down the small...
7
7